1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D S/N & EXIF Info

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by wclavey, Jan 18, 2013.

1. wclavey

wclavey Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Westley
    I did a search of the forum looking for something related to this but did not find it... if there is something, please just point me to it...

I purchased an OM-D 2 months ago and registered it online. In the process I entered the S/N from the body and the site verified that it was a good S/N. Last night, I was working on some pictures from an outing last week and I realized that the S/N that shows in the EXIF data (BEJ508653) for the OM-D body is nothing like the S/N on the body itself (00527291).

So this morning, I looked at my gallery of photos and found that the S/N for my other bodies (E-30, E-500) match the EXIF data exactly. I'm not sure if there is a problem here or not. The registration with Olympus went through fine, so that is not a problem. However, it just seems odd that the EXIF data would be wrong, just for this body.

2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    EDIT: I forgot to mention - there is an "internal serial number" recorded in the EXIF data that, I believe, is all numeric, not alpha numeric. It does not correlate to the serial number on the camera sticker. The EXIF tool mentioned below in the link will show the internal number just below the camera serial number when looking at the EXIF data on an EM-5 .jpg. However the internal number on my EM-5 is considerably longer than the serial number you posted.

Maybe check it with a different EXIF tool? I use ExifTool by Phil Harvey. It's a command line tool, but you can simply drag a photo file over the .exe in Windows Explorer and it will automatically read the EXIF data and present it in a command window. (There are other ways to use the software, of course). Also works on the Mac. Shareware. Use a .jpg file if testing for serial number.

The serial number on my EM-5 matches the serial number in the EXIF as shown by Mr. Harvey's software, starting with "BEJ". The "Internal Serial Number" does not match the serial number on the camera body.

A link to Mr. Harvey's ExifTool: http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Edit 2 If the 'internal number doesn't match your camera body numeric either then I would contact Olympus just to see what's up with that...

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_servicerepair.asp

Regards,

Jim

3. wclavey

wclavey Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Westley
    Thanks Jim. I installed that EXIF tool and used it to read a fresh, unmodified in any way file from the OM-D. It did find an internal serial number (4138208003623001) which in no way looks like the serial number on the body itself (00527291) or the serial number that both EXIF tools display (BEJ508653). So I suppose I will follow your second recommendation and try contacting Olympus.

4. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I'll be interested in what they say, if you care to post it. I spent quite a bit of time in search engines and haven't seen anything on this situation.

Regards,

Jim

5. wclavey

wclavey Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Westley
    Here is the response I got back from Olympus... I'm not sure that it really addresses the issue... Personally, I'd like to know that the S/N printed in the EXIF data on one of my images matches the S/N on the body, as it does for the other Olympus bodies I own. I looked in Studio2 and Viewer and neither one of those tools shows the body S/N. So I guess it is what it is... not very satisfying.

Dear Westley,
    The exif reader in a third-party software may not be reading the OM-D data correctly. In any event, the registration does not affect any potential repair issues. The registration is used for demographic information and subscribes you to Olympus newsletters.

Regards,
    Mike
    Digital Technical Support
    Olympus Imaging America​

6. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Why does your serial number on the body have no letter prefix? Both my EM5's have a three letter prefix for the serial number. And what about the box?

Gordon

7. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Well...I can appreciate that Mike from DTS assures you that there will be no issues with servicing the camera due to serial number and that's a nice thing to have confirmed...but it doesn't answer the question :frown:.

You've checked the EXIF data with (at least) two different software applications, so I'm thinkin' that Mike may be off the mark on the issue being 3rd party software that can't read the serial number properly.

Puzzling. :confused::confused::confused:

Regards,

Jim

8. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    +1

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

9. wclavey

wclavey Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Westley
    That is an excellent question!

I got the box out of the closet and looked at the label... and lo & behold, the S/N on the box is BEJ508653... which is the same as the external S/N in the EXIF data - - but completely different from the S/N on the body itself: 00527291.

10. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Where/when did you buy it?

J

11. wclavey

wclavey Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Westley
    I bought it in December, from Amazon, and Olympus was listed as the vendor.

12. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    What about calling Olympus and telling them that the serial number on the camera doesn't match the serial number on the box...that they sold?

I've been unable to find anything on mis-matched serial numbers by using search engines...nice puzzle!

Regards,

Jim

13. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    My S/N ends near 3700 and that was a June delivery. So an OMD sold in December is only up to 8653. Anyone got one higher than that? Do the Euro and Asian models also start with BJE5 prefix?

14. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I'm good like that :smile:

I know you're not an idiot, but......

You haven't left the horizontal part of the accessory grip on the camera? They have a numerical only serial number.

My serial numbers are on the sticker on the underside of the camera. The silver one has a silver sticker. The black one has a black sticker with a silver insert for the serial number. My black one has a three lettter prefix. My silver one has only two letters but the same number of digits.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  15. wclavey

wclavey Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Westley
    OK, so I'm such an idiot!

You are absolutely right! I was taking off the battery compartment but leaving the grip on the body. Duh! I cannot believe I did something so stupid. My apologies to everyone who responded.

• Like Like x 1
  16. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    I wonder if this bit of info can be used to track stolen cameras?
    *knocks on wood*
    Of course the perpetrator needs to post his 'work' online somewhere to be tracked...

17. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    :rofl:

No worries - glad it's resolved, thanks to Flash.

Regards,

Jim

18. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les