1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D raw

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by microfourthirdsnut, Mar 13, 2013.

1. microfourthirdsnut

microfourthirdsnut Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2012
    Well always shot jpeg till yesterday I did a few raw shots and found out that the raw pics will not show up in my Apple machine. So looks like I will have to pick up a program light room photo shop ect. I have a few different cameras different makes so needs to be able to take all raw pics from all the cameras.
    So whats the best program and what are you guys and galls using?
    Also what happens to the hundreds of jpeg pictures already on my computer will I still be able to access both?
    Once I load a program will the pictures show up as pictures when loaded to the computer?
    I hate getting computer As_ but raw is the way to go as far as picture quality goes.

2. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    What version of OS X are you using? Apple added E-M5 RAW support in the RAW Compatibility Update 3.13 (Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 3.13) but that is only for 10.7 or 10.8.

Even though the operating system doesn't recognize the RAW files the Olympus Viewer 2 software that came with the camera should. It can convert them to TIFF or any other format for you to use.

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    OK ...take a deep breath and lets sort these issues one by one

1) what model Mac do you have, how much memory does it have and what version of the OS do you have.... If you click on the Apple symbol or the top left of your menu bar and go to About this Mac.. you should find all those answers

2) if you are running 10.7 or 10.8, try running Software update and see whether it prompts you to update the RAW compatibility update. On the Apple, RAW support is actually part of the OS... which mean that RAW files can be read in the finder, Preview, iPhoto etc.

3) What are you using currently to look at your JPEG files? iPhoto would be the normal choice, but you may have another app you are using

4) The two popular choices for a editing and organising program to work with your images would be Aperture or Lightroom, or indeed if you don't have iPhoto installed, perhaps that would be a good starting point. You probably don't need to go down the Photoshop route quite yet... You can do an awful lot in iPhoto/Aperture/Lightroom

5) Your existing images may need to be imported to whatever new program you choose, but this is a one time thing.

6) Importing pictures from your camera will be done through the app you choose, and you will have options on where to store the image files.

7) The answers to question 1 are an important step in offering you more detailed advice

cheers

K

4. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Kevin, for a cantankerous Scot, your contributions are always worth reading ...

5. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    No cost solution:
    OLYMPUS Viewer 2 Download

6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    thanks big tam... I try... and am sometimes trying :)

7. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    BTW, is there any other kind of Scot? Since I'm not uncantankerous myself:)

• Like Like x 1
  8. You could try Google's Picasa. Example; Picasa worked with raw SD14 when nothing other than Sigma's buggy software would.
    Just a suggestion.

9. peterpix

peterpix Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 8, 2010
    So. Maine
    Peter Randal
    phooey on PIcassa. Aperture or LIghtroom will do it and also organize your files

10. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I believe picassa is free? I use lightroom myself, but it is not free.

11. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Sure! I'm totally without character flaws. Ask my wife!

12. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I use that all the time & I also save both JPEG & RAW to have the best of both worlds.

Hey, that's my saying! :rolleyes: Well, my wife tells me I'm trying sometimes. :wink:

13. fsuscotphoto

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Compared to CS 6 it is.

14. fsuscotphoto

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I totally agree. I'm in three camera clubs and there is way too much emphasis on post, than trying to get it right the first time.

15. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    No, it's still not free. If the OP only wants something to view photos only (no file management or RAW editting), there are plenty of options, picasa being one of them.

16. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

For RAW developement, Olympus Viewer 2 only works on Olympus RAW files, but can be used to download photos from most cameras & edit the jpegs (& can save as tiff or bitmap). BTW, we will be seeing Olympus Viewer 3 coming with new cameras this year & hopefully be available for download later.

17. WorldShooter

WorldShooter Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2013
    Giethoorn, Netherlands
    Peter B.
    As far as RAW files are concerned:
    No, the Oly software is only for the Oly cameras.
    Panasonic and Sony are both delivering proprietary software with their cameras to decode their RAW files.

Like earlier posters stated: first you need to get your Mac configuration up to date. That will show all your files (Actually, what you will see is the JPG that is embedded in the RAW file. The software and hardware need to be current to be able to decode the latest types of RAW files. A RAW file cannot directly be viewed but needs "translator" software). After you have your Mac configuration updated to current standards, then you can decide which particular software to use, either free or paid...

Good luck!

18. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Olympus viewer, probably won't work on the lx7 or rx100. Usually those cameras will come with their own software that allows you the view and edit the RAW files.

19. WorldShooter

WorldShooter Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2013
    Giethoorn, Netherlands
    Peter B.
    This is actually not true.

First of all, the sharpness of your pictures is determined by your shooting discipline. But you knew that... :smile:

Secondly, RAW files don't have any sharpening applied at the moment of capture. The sharpening is done afterward in the RAW converter software. You can then choose what amount of sharpening is desired, and depending on the software tool, use selective sharpening, masking, etc... Viewing RAW files in the RAW converter software straight out of camera may give the impression they're not very sharp.

OTH, JPG files are sharpened in camera, right after capture. You can set the amount of sharpening in camera (and sharpen them again later in software if so desired, but you cannot unsharpen them). This process is not so sophisticated, but the pictures do look sharper out of camera.

RAW is much more flexibel and forgiving, but it requires more time in post processing...

20. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Quite. Unsharpened RAW images will be soft. But if you want an image that can be sharpened optimally - which will depend on subject matter, whether you're going to print it, what display/print size you'll be using, what substrate you'll print on, and so forth - RAW is the way to go.

I tend to process from RAW, but if I just want to put quick snaps up, I'll use the smaller JPGs I shoot alongside. Perfectly fine for family/friends/web use. But if I'm going to do any post-processing I'll start with a RAW capture.