Om-d raw samples!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by WT21, Feb 15, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Check out m43 rumors 43 Rumors | Blog | First RAW Olympus E-M5 files for download! who has a link to a French site with Raw samples for the OM-D. Tools like Raw Photo Processor (RPP) will open them.

French site via Google Translate is here: http://translate.google.com/transla...act-olympus-om-d-e-m5-exemples-photos-15.html

But the chat at 43rumors is also useful.

I don't have a Panny camera, so I can't compare, but the high ISO shots look a great deal better than my current EPM1. Blacks seem purer, and high ISO noise is more fine and grain-like, with little chroma.

• Like Like x 1
  2. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Files look really good. Very impressed!

3. alessandro

alessandro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    posted a couple of RPP developed crops down there at seriouscompacts. Can't upload here for the moment

• Like Like x 2
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    His thread is here: What??? They put a sensor in it???!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. alessandro

alessandro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    (Don't get me wrong about the thread title: I love m/43 and still enjoy my GF1. It's a joke)

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Here's a shot I pushed +2 EV in RPP then saved as 85% jpg.

There's some banding (maybe more like a striation effect), but it's still just Firm Ware 0.95

I think I stripped the EXIF, but it's ISO 5,000!

• Like Like x 5
  7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    But.... who is the sensor manufacturer? :rofl:

Thanks for the heads up on the files. I am playing around a bit in RawTherapee. It seems like they also have less noise at lower ISO.

8. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Whoa! 5000?! On my E-P2, 5000 iso makes every scene a snow scene.

9. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    It's good to see some raw's!

That's the versatility of the EP2. You get snow scenes without the need for weatherproof gear.

Will 10000 give me infrared?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Looks to be about a stop or stop and a half better than my e-pl2. Looks like ISO 3200 is quite usable. When they drop this sensor into the rest of the PEN line, Olympus will have another salfe from me.

11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Yeah, I've seen these. Really encouraging. Looks like it may actually be some sort of new sensor, but who cares if the results are there. If I can shoot at 3200 with reasonable confidence (which I haven't been able to do with any of my m43 cams to date), I'm good. And if the shutter is actually fairly quiet, jeez, I'm in heaven!

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  12. brianvickers

brianvickers Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    I'm impressed by the images at first sight....I just checked example 6 - Girl studio shot... and it has artefacts on the lower jaw - only when seen when viewed at 100% though............ref...
    Marque : OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
    Modèle : E-M5
    Vitesse : 1/250 s, ouverture : f/1.8
    Sensibilité : 200 ISO
    Focale : 45 mm, décalage expo : 0 IL
    Objectif : M.Zuiko 45 mm f/1,8

13. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Were you looking at the jpeg, Brian?

14. brianvickers

Jul 1, 2011
    I loaded the ORF into Olympus viewer and then converted it to TIFF so I could use canon DPP which works faster....do you think this has done some damage?

15. brianvickers

Jul 1, 2011
  16. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Well, considering that it usually takes a few months after the camera is released and on the street for the various raw converters to support it, it's not terribly shocking that it isn't supported a month or two BEFORE the camera is released...

-Ray

17. brianvickers

Jul 1, 2011
    That is of course a good point!
    I'd like to know what others analysis of the samples comes up with. I have great expectations - and I'm looking for evidence to support the End of DSLR so I can them sell mine and buy OMD

18. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Not completely sure, but it would seem that at this early stage, with no official support, there could be some issues with conversion.

19. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    This fact is enough to *almost* make me wait a couple months before purchasing the latest camera... stinks to mess with your workflow.