OM-D RAW Processing

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by ShrubMonkey, Jun 24, 2012.

1. ShrubMonkey

ShrubMonkey Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2012
    What RAW processing to folks use for OM-D images?

I've been using Lightroom 4.1 initially, but tonight I tried Olympus Viewer 2 software and compared the default raw handling of both and the Olympus software was noticeable better, crisper and superb colour rendition by default settings. The results certainly looked sharper in Viewer and the colours were much more realistic. Understand these were both default settings out the software, not changes applied at all. Is Viewer applying some default sharpening even though all sharpening controls are at defaulted to zero? I saved the images as tiff's from both Viewer and Lightroom and compared, even then the Viewer created Tiff was much better.
  2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Yes. It's also applying noise reduction when Noise Filter is set to Off.

Defaults are a starting point. If you find the Olympus defaults pleasing, create a preset in Lightroom that mimics them (if you're starting with Olympus's 'Natural' setting, I'd suggest increasing overall saturation, changing the contrast curve to 'medium', increasing the blue channel saturation, upping the sharpening a bit, and perhaps fiddling with the blue 'hue' slider in the magenta direction). Once you have something you like, save it as a preset and then you can have Lightroom use that as your default for all E-M5 files that you import.

3. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I'm having a similar issue. I've processes probably 1000 images, and I had noticed how when generating the preview LR makes them darker, but tonight I've seen something very unusual.

The exposure is not really the same at all... I recognized because I knew I shot to see the shadows, but in LR they are much darke. I'm really disappointed by how different the shadows look in LR compared to image review on the camera or Oly viewer (which I've opened for the first time tonight).

I guess I can can adjust the exposure shift so I can have "neutral" LR files, or make a preset at import, but it's quite frustrating... any tips?

Attached Files:

4. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    I recommend that you get familiar with those settings to the degree that you know what your favorite slider settings are and them save them as a preset. In LR 4.1, you and right click on a preset and make it your import preset, great!
  5. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Right, I know I can use the import preset. I've made a preset that works to a certain degree, but I'm not really understanding the differences in RAW import. Some photos look like they're almost the same when the preview renders in library Grid mode. Shadows appear a little different, while others look like they're adjusted -1EV, so I think it's not just the first 6 basic exposure sliders. Maybe it's boosting contrast on import a lot more than I thought...

I'll figure out something that works for me, but it's quite disappointing to see LR not being at least close to the exposure, it's especially so in the shadows. I can understand using import presets when I want something special, but could I please see what I shot first?

I don't chimp at the photos right after I've taken them, but I do pay attention to shadows to adjust EV or metering mode. I meant to ETTR for some shots, but LR is already adjusting back for all of them. :wink:

Darker exposure is LR, Lighter exposure is Oly viewer, last is my adjusted LR (slightly bright, Exp 0.75 & shadows at 40 would be closer to Oly)

Attached Files:

6. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
  7. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Lightroom is likely doing what it should be doing, giving you the raw file (or as close to raw as a raw file gets these days). If the image looks under-exposed when it is imported into lightroom, then it was probably under-exposed when it was taken.

I set my in-camera jpeg settings to a configuration that gives the most dynamic range i.e. natural colour, -ve contrast, Auto gradation. This gives me a more accurate indication of the extents of the camera's dynamic range. With this setup I can usually set the exposure compensation to +0.7 or +1.0EV when using ESP metering, and the exposures look about right when they import into Lightroom.
  8. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Well the part of your statement about underexposed does not hold true for my photo set from Berlin & Hamburg. I compensated exposure to see the detail in the trees, however in LR the detail is not initially discernible compared to the EVF while shooting or image review on the display, or even the raw import into "photos" on my ipad.

I'll report back when I figure out a workflow to slightly match what I see in image review and when I import. I would have no problem using exposure shift with +0.7, but I would like my image review to be able to confirm my exposure how I'll be using it as a starting position in LR.

I also thought LR displayed the raw files how they should be until now, for the GX1 files it shows no such behavior...
  9. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
  10. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    Yes, I like Erik's presets because they give me a good starting point. Although his presets does not have the final touches for every image, it does give you a good point for you to start tweeking your image to your liking.
  11. tanMu4358

tanMu4358 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2012
    Anybody has tried processing the OMD EM5 Raw with CS5? I did but it said CS5 does not support Oly Raw (?)
  12. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I process all of my OM-D raw files using CS5.1. Files look great.

13. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I have been using Aperture... and generally pretty good... though I have found a little bug....Apertures RAW preset doesn't seem to like purples... goes a bit crazy.... still investigating the issue and will raise it with Apple if it looks like its repeatable

would welcome any input from other Aperture users

14. flojoto

flojoto Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 16, 2012
    It's interesting, I find that the OMD has very high ground contrast noise (even at ISO 200) if you don't apply anything. Definitely way higher then my old G1. Can anyone of you confirm that. I get very goo results with NikSoft Denoise, but with Aperture it is not possible to handle the issue perfectly, if you want completely clean results (I know I'm a pixel-peeper).

How are the noise results with Lightroom? Maybe I'll try it out again, even though I don't like the interface too much. So far I often just use the JPGs which are usually pretty great already and if I need strong Shadow correction I go with NikSoft.
  15. richie15

richie15 Guest

Have a look on dpreview and do a search on Lantau. His balance of NR and sharpening works for me
  16. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Unlike Nic, I don't find myself wanting to apply positive exposure compensation. I think the E-M5, or at least mine, does quite well on exposure except when I make a mess of it, but I do have to say that I seem to like my images a bit darker than Nic likes his and it's quite possible our cameras are performing pretty close to identically.

I used to use Aperture but I've swapped to Lightroom which I think does a much better job. Some highlights which showed as blown in Aperture come through as not blown in Lightroom which seems to handle the highlights and shadows better than Aperture, and also seems to provide a greater range for recovery at both ends if you need it.

Some time ago I did a test shot with my E-M5 of a sheet of white paper on the grass in my back yard. I set the highlight warning level to 245 and used the highlights and shadows display in the camera to set the exposure so that the paper was just showing the highlight warning indication so, according to the camera, the paper should not have been clipped or just be at the point of clipping. In Aperture the paper was clipped whereas in Lightroom it wasn't and it also showed a luminance value of around 96%, what you'd expect if the camera's highlights and shadows warning level of 245 was correct.

Aperture and Lightroom have quite different organisation of their adjustments and I find Lightroom's, once I adjusted to it, a much easier system to work with. I'm still very much a Lightroom novice but I wouldn't go back to Aperture. I find I get results I prefer in Lightroom, and I also get them a bit easier.
  17. Brian G

Brian G Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2010
    Victoria, BC
    I use CS5.5, and only shoot RAW, and haven't noticed any issues in opening & processing the EM5's .ORF files. I suggest that you check that there are not updates available that your installation of PS hasn't alerted you to.