OM-D Program Shift

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by strang, Jun 22, 2012.

1. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    I seem to only be able to adjust aperture while in Program Shift (Ps) mode. I'm supposed to also be able to adjust shutter speed right?

Can't seem to figure out how to switch between the two.

2. tkcrabtree

tkcrabtree Mu-43 Rookie

May 4, 2012
    Normally in program mode the camera will determine what it thinks are the best settings for both shutter and aperture. Using the wheel to change the aperture will also change the shutter speed, if you need more shutter open up the aperture.

The main difference between P and A modes is that in A mode the camera will base the shutter speed off a predetermined aperture value that you select, whereas in program mode the camera picks what out thinks is best for both values, then lets you change the aperture value from that point to match your needs, adjusting the shutter speed to keep the original exposure value.

When you rotate the wheel in P mode you are changing both the aperture and shutter, not just one or the other, if the camera displays an exposure of f4 100th, and you rotate the wheel to the left the new value will be f5.6 50th, so you essentially have changed both values using one wheel.

3. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    Thanks, I guess I wasn't turning it enough to see any changes in the shutter speed.

4. phil_gx1

phil_gx1 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 19, 2012
    Do you have to press the rear button in before turning the wheel?