OM-D price the end of the year ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by john99, Jul 17, 2012.

1. john99

john99 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 17, 2012
    I want to get OM-D but have not saved enough money, what's your prediction on its price at the end of the year ?.

Thank you!.
  2. efoo

efoo Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Same as now because it is still selling like hotcakes.
  3. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
    There are so many factors... there will be another generation PENs with maybe the same sensor, and challengers from other companies. Then again you never now what havoc earthquakes, revolutions, pirates and investors may wreak.

I would expect the price to drop by about 10-15%

Some examples:

E-M5 body, price available since June 2nd

GH2K, since December 2010

PEN E-P2, since Jan 2010 :)eek:)

PEN E-P3 body, since Aug 2011

Edit: Caveat: the P3 price development suggests the price of a company's top-of-the-line product can remain very stable until the product is superceded. Note how the price remains the same until announcement (Feb 2012) and availability (june 2012) of OM-D. PM1 and PL3 dropped ~15% in the first three months already.
    • Like Like x 5
  4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    They're already offering some rebates to entice sales. When those expire, sales will drop off. a $100 price drop is almost a certainty.
  5. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Nice analysis pheaukus! But it still remains chaotic...

It will depend very much on new Pen and Panasonic GH3 availability/price. Also, possibly, an updated GX2 model may threaten OM-D sales.

There is the posibility that Olympus shall announce a new OM camera at Photokina (to be released next year). There is a lot of speculation on Pen line future, as well as (and in relation to) the OM line. Some say there will be no high-end Pen model in the future and Olympus shall come out with a more economical OM camera (in the same vein as the film OM line; single digit vs double digit, so the new camera may be an E-M50). There is also the posibility of a higher end "pro" OM line announcement. Nobody can be sure at this point.

Realistically you can expect a slight price reduction in relation to todays prices, esp. in a possible christmas holiday offer. Another idea would be to look for used, mint condition examples by the end of the year (announcement/availability of newer cameras drive some people to "upgrade" in haste).
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    The background rate of decrease for consumer electronics is 1% a week. The date it starts falling depends on the details of an item's production capacity and popularity (supply and demand). Most models are intended for a 6 month active market life (top earnings position) before being displaced by the next technology improvement. That's when the discounting usually starts.

In the case of the OM-D E-M5 it's probably going to bend a few of those rules. It got off to a slow production start relative to the demand. It jumped a couple of steps on the technology curve so when they try to replace it the improvement will be relatively small. Olympus is not financially well off enough to let the margins drop off until sales really start to plummet. I'd say we'll see a few small promotions around Christmas, but it will be the spring of 2013 before the 1%/week rule will be reliably in effect.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. john99

john99 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 17, 2012
    Thank you for your thoughtful inputs. I just saw that Olympus is throwing FL-300R for free when you buy even the OM-D body. I remember last time you have to purchase a kit to get a free FL-300R.
  8. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Actually the offer was always available for the body only version (at least in Canada &US)...I know because I was a body-only purchaser who applied for the rebate.
  9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Whatever else is true, it's unlikely to be higher.
  10. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Last Christmas the 3rd generation Pens cameras that had been introduced the previous summer were NOT hardly discounted; i.e. only $50-100 discounted from their MSRP price. So don't expect any significant discount on the E-M5. But you'll be able to find some used E-M5s for $200-300 off MSRP even right now.
  11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I very much doubt that. Olympus prices have traditional held firm or increased at the end of the summer or when the annual summer rebates expire. Since demand for the E-M5 is exceeding demand at the moment, I can't see why they'd change their usual tactics.

In fact, I'd say the E-M5 may be the first micro 4/3 camera to hold its price as well as a midrange DSLR.

• Like Like x 1
  12. john99

john99 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 17, 2012
    Ah OK, thanks!.

13. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA

Some people were saying that its price will go down significantly a few months after its release. We are now on its third month and have yet to see a constant supply :)
  14. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Itll probably be stable like the NEX-7 due to high demand and low supply.
  15. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    As someone waiting on the sidelines (just barely!) that would make me sad..
  16. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Short-term, it can be annoying. But long-term, I think we'd all benefit from the upgrade cycle slowing down. Olympus can devote more energy to each iteration, knowing that it will be able to recoup its costs over a longer life cycle, offering fewer, but more significant, upgrades.

17. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I can certainly understand the benefit. I know the depreciation all too well with my ep1 and g1. And i got in late too when they were almost end of life (500$/450$). I thought it would hold better seeing what they had already dropped from the original msrp!

I think one of the reasons for the crazy price drops of earlier models is probably just the major deficits of the first few years of m43 no video/poor af/no evf options. Though street prices of the g3 at sub 350$ and the gx1 between 4-500$ may be proving me very wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App
  18. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Bumping this for its significance nine months later. OM-D price hasn't flagged all that much as of now.
  19. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    I bought my OM-D for 300€ less than it's original price (it was 1299€ with kit lens and I bought it for 989€)
  20. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    In the UK the price has recently been dropped by Olympus
    Body plus 12 - 50mm is now about £989.00 rather than the original £1150.00
    Body only is about £839.00 (or in some places £819.00 down from about £999.00
    I got an even better deal - Body only plus a 14 - 42mm kit lens added seperately (rather than in the box as part of the kit) for £849.00
    At the time Olympus was giving away a free spare battery and either free 45mm f1.8 or free HLD-6 battery grip (I went with the 45mm and battery which are confirmed but not yet sent) (bought a new battery grip on ebay)
    When you factor in the current values of the 45mm and battery - about £275 plus the 14 - 42mm £100 - the body has cost me only about £475.00 in real terms - - an absolute bargain !!