OM-D power being finnicky

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Village Idiot, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Village Idiot

Village Idiot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2011
    I'm having slight issues. Occasionally when my OM-D goes to sleep it won't wake up without recycling the power. Pressing all of the buttons to attempt to bring it bike to life does nothing. The last time I had it out for a restaurant review over an hour from the house and even recycling the power did nothing. Eventually I pulled the battery and replaced it and it worked fine. This is with a fairly new and relatively lightly used camera with a fully charged battery in it most of the times. I thought I was going to be stuck using my iphone.

Anyone seen this happen before? I can't necessarily send it in to service when it is working because they won't have anything to fix and the is a pretty random problem.
  2. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    My OM-D occassionally doesn't wake up by simply pressing a button. When that happens, I turn the power off then back on and it's good to go again.

However, once (only once...) even that didn't work. I had to remove the battery and put it back in (the same battery) in order for it to wake up again. Note: That was after shooting a number of high-speed brackets and the battery was pretty warm. This was with the Panny 20/1.7 lens attached.

I don't consider it to be more than an this point.
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Does the behavior occur with all lenses? What firmware version are you on?

4. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Is the 20 1.7 lens attached to it? If so, thats why, its a known problem
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Village Idiot

Village Idiot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2011
    This would most likely be it. I only have this lens and the 45 and the 20 stays on the camera most of the time because it's a more usable focal length for me.
  6. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Wasn't the now-gone 1.2 firmware supposed to address that problem with the 20/1.7?