1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D photo the sun

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by britops, Jun 2, 2012.

1. britops

britops Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    What do I need to safely photo the sun? Is an ND16 filter enough?

2. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    You need at least 9 full stops of light reduction to safely photograph the sun, and I think the ND16 is only providing 4 full stops. You also need to worry about blocking infra-red, which an ND filter might not do.

I'd look for a dedicated solar filter. Reputable brands include Coronodo, Astro-Physics, Kendrik, Orion Telescopes, Thousand Oaks. And look for one intended for photography, not just visual observing.

Also: remember that the sun is small, same visual size as the moon, so you probably want a big zoom (400mm) or a small telescope. And you need to protect the entire optical path of the telescope, or it can melt or catch fire. Take *lots* of images, since atmospheric turbulence will cause most to be blurry, and just keep the few that are sharp.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    incredible amount of knowledge here....

4. Neon

Neon Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    North Wales,UK.
    But why would you want to take an image of the sun ?

5. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    its a nice challenge... making sure you don't burn anything.

sol17.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  6. Neon

Neon Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    North Wales,UK.
    each to there own i guess

7. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Is that a photo, Redridge? As in not a composite or Photoshop job? It looks like something out of a sci-fi movie. Very cool!

If that's what you can expect shooting the sun, it seems like it would be a lot of fun to try.

8. LegacyLens

LegacyLens Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    What i do is l set the aperture all the way up but ;b i have NEVER taken one like that before what is the focal length?!

9. britops

britops Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
  10. RichA

RichA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Do NOT use photographic ND filters

No guarantee they screen out UV and IR sufficiently. Get this instead, use at least a 400-500mm lens (ideally, 1000mm). Image here taken by a 1300mm f13 mirror lens with a Panasonic G1. Also, those spectacular prominence images like the one shown require a satellite (!) or a telescope with a special filtration system using what is called an etalon which only allows a very discrete wavelength through. You can use heavy density welder's glass to view the Sun with your eyes, but it is optically poor and cannot be used on a camera lens.

Transit of Venus across the Sun is June 5th, the last one in about 100 years!
    I'm going to shoot video of it via the E-M5 and combine frames to form final images.

Filter: You can buy this film, there are some American sources, or a glass filter from some of the big camera sellers, look for the name, "Thousand Oaks."

Baader Planetarium AstroSolarâ„¢ Safety Film

Image taken with 1300mm mirror lens, through Baader solar film filter, colour-balanced to yellow after the fact.

original.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  11. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    Man I wished this topic had come up earlier. I have been trying to source one of the baader filter but I cannot. I am kinda bummed out.

12. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Right! I should make a reference to the sunny 16 rule, must be about the sun! :wink:

britops, I can only second the advice not to use ND filters! They will not protect your equipment adequately.

• Like Like x 1