OM-D photo the sun

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by britops, Jun 2, 2012.

1. britops

britops Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
    What do I need to safely photo the sun? Is an ND16 filter enough?

2. MikeB

MikeB Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    You need at least 9 full stops of light reduction to safely photograph the sun, and I think the ND16 is only providing 4 full stops. You also need to worry about blocking infra-red, which an ND filter might not do.

I'd look for a dedicated solar filter. Reputable brands include Coronodo, Astro-Physics, Kendrik, Orion Telescopes, Thousand Oaks. And look for one intended for photography, not just visual observing.

Also: remember that the sun is small, same visual size as the moon, so you probably want a big zoom (400mm) or a small telescope. And you need to protect the entire optical path of the telescope, or it can melt or catch fire. Take *lots* of images, since atmospheric turbulence will cause most to be blurry, and just keep the few that are sharp.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    incredible amount of knowledge here....

4. Neon

Neon Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    North Wales,UK.
    But why would you want to take an image of the sun ?

5. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    its a nice challenge... making sure you don't burn anything.

sol17.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Neon

Neon Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    North Wales,UK.
    each to there own i guess

7. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Is that a photo, Redridge? As in not a composite or Photoshop job? It looks like something out of a sci-fi movie. Very cool!

If that's what you can expect shooting the sun, it seems like it would be a lot of fun to try.

8. LegacyLens

LegacyLens Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    What i do is l set the aperture all the way up but ;b i have NEVER taken one like that before what is the focal length?!

9. britops

britops Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2012
  10. RichA

RichA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Do NOT use photographic ND filters

No guarantee they screen out UV and IR sufficiently. Get this instead, use at least a 400-500mm lens (ideally, 1000mm). Image here taken by a 1300mm f13 mirror lens with a Panasonic G1. Also, those spectacular prominence images like the one shown require a satellite (!) or a telescope with a special filtration system using what is called an etalon which only allows a very discrete wavelength through. You can use heavy density welder's glass to view the Sun with your eyes, but it is optically poor and cannot be used on a camera lens.

Transit of Venus across the Sun is June 5th, the last one in about 100 years!
    I'm going to shoot video of it via the E-M5 and combine frames to form final images.

Filter: You can buy this film, there are some American sources, or a glass filter from some of the big camera sellers, look for the name, "Thousand Oaks."

Baader Planetarium AstroSolar™ Safety Film

Image taken with 1300mm mirror lens, through Baader solar film filter, colour-balanced to yellow after the fact.

original.

• Like Like x 2
  11. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    Man I wished this topic had come up earlier. I have been trying to source one of the baader filter but I cannot. I am kinda bummed out.

12. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    Right! I should make a reference to the sunny 16 rule, must be about the sun! :wink:

britops, I can only second the advice not to use ND filters! They will not protect your equipment adequately.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.