OM-D owners...what do you *HATE* about your camera?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LowriderS10, May 22, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    I know, it might sound like a silly title...but I'm getting very, very, VERY close to picking up an OM-D (this weekend if I find one in a store for a good price, or next week if I have to order online), and I like to do my research as thoroughly as possible.

As such, I'd like to know what you hate/dislike about your OM-D...basically to see if I could live with it (or even care about it)....aaaaaaand GO! :)
    • Like Like x 1
  2. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    There is nothing that I hate about it. There are definitely annoyances but any camera is going to have those. I can honestly say that my OMD is my favorite camera that I have ever owned and I've owned about 30-40 in the last 14 years since getting into digital photography. I know this probably doesn't help you or answer your question but really -- nothing to HATE.
  3. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Haha doesn't help, but at the same time it helps a lot!!! :D :D
  4. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    Only thing I hate is that I can't hate it.
  5. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
    Ok, truth is there, for me, is one thing that bugs me a bit about the OMD is the fn1 and playback buttons. If they were switched around it would be easier to use fn1. I have fn1 set to MF assist.
  6. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    I hate that it made me spend well over €2000 on lenses ...

Well, maybe not :)
  7. Mijo

Mijo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2012
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't like how those two buttons are so close together, same thing with the directional buttons. I end up accidentally pushing the wrong button. IMO all of the buttons feel kinda cheap, in comparison to the buttons on the GX1.

I also dislike the purple blobs that occur under specific conditions with the 7-14mm. coming from Panny bodies, I don't like Oly's menu system but I've gotten used to it.

None of these are deal breakers for me but since you asked...
  8. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I can't turn off the screen completely with the press of a button like the e-p3. It just switches to the evf.
  9. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    no small AF point. so i have the magnifying option asigned to the rec button to get it.
    cant name my Mysets options.

nothing else. love this camera.
  10. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Yeah, I keep reading about the Playback/Fn1 buttons' shortcomings! Thanks!

Yeah, the purple blob thing was the final nail in the 7-14's coffin for me. The menu I'm going to get used to, the buttons...thanks for pointing that out! That's another thing I've read in reviews is that the camera feels good, but the buttons feel cheap...I guess that's something I can get used to, eventually...

I don't have particularly big/fat fingers, so hopefully pressing multiple ones won't be an issue...I'm hoping to at least handle one (I've handled a few, but not extensively) this weekend to see what it feels like!

Is it possible to just turn off the rear LCD for anything other than playback? And then just switch the EVF on/off as needed?

Ah, I didn't even think about that...thanks! I'm used to the tiny AF points on my DSLRs and love them...however, my 5D Mark II has only 9 selectable AF points, so it'll be nice to have more than that, even if they're less precise! I mostly do landscape/architecture/etc, for those the size of the AF point doesn't matter...though it may be an issue for street photography...
  11. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US

Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!
  12. Dan Lopez

Dan Lopez Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2011
    I can't get the super control panel to show up like it does on my Ep3. :mad: I'm having to scroll through on a side bar instead.

Attached Files:

13. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Nothing. Sorry. :biggrin:

I wouldn't mind a smaller AF box though.
  14. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    The cracked bezel and some paint chip near the strap holder, it's only been with me for about 2 months. Function wise, it's the location of the F1 button and the AF-C performance.

The rest is nice :D
  15. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    The buttons on the back of the camera all feel a little squishy (and not in a particularly good way). I really wish they were more 'clicky'/tactile. The playback/FN1 buttons sometimes a little difficult to press with sausage fingers - need to use my thumbnail.
  16. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    I have no problem it showing up on mine when I hit 'OK'. Live SCP needs to be enabled in the menu settings. I also disabled 'Live control' (the sidebar mode) on all PASM shooting modes, I never use the other stuff. Doing so makes the SCP pop up when you hit ok.

You can leave the Live Control mode turned on in the menu settings along with the SCP. In normal shooting screen, after hitting 'OK', just press info to cycle between Live Control and SCP. But I just turn off Live control in the menus - I much prefer scp.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Two things:

- No easy way to preset small AF points (only by manually scaling it down and using touchscreen to set them, and I would like to be able to set AF point with the touchscreen with my eye to the EVF)

- The relatively useless implementation of MySets - I want my custom settings to either toggle on/of, or (better) to be assigned to a dial position. Holding down a Fn button to access a MySet is a pain and barely workable.

Other than that (minor niggles, really), it really is a fantastic camera.
  18. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Nothing I hate, but coming from a 5dii, these are the things I wish were better:

- buttons on the back are partly obstructed by thumb grip (I use back-button focus)
    - Mysets not as usable as they could be (naming them, assigning to mode dial)
    - battery life poor compared to DSLRs
    - base ISO noise is noticable in some conditions
    - no ISO below 200

I can live with them all and don't regret for a moment the switch fom Canon, so put them into perspective. It's a great camera.
  19. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    I noticed this too...
  20. Rockinggoose

Rockinggoose Mu-43 Regular

HATE the retro styling with all the corners where the paint rubs off
    HATE the too small buttons which are virtually impossible to use with gloves on
    HATE the too few buttons to assign functions to
    HATE the time it takes to change the primary battery when the HLD-6 is fitted
    HATE the pathetic battery performance (I can use up to 3 batteries in a day's shooting - my Canon 7D uses only one a week!)
    HATE the fact that IS cannot be assigned to any button
    HATE the spot AF being too large
    HATE the pathetic AF performance with fast moving subjects
    HATE the too sensitive eye sensor
    Hate the lack of long telephoto native primes
    HATE the lack of built in flash and the fiddly, easy to damage attachable flash unit

LOVE THE SENSOR AND IT'S SUPERB IQ AND HIGH ISO/LOW NOISE PERFORMANCE - which is the only reason why I keep the OMD, and if a 4/3rds body comes out with the same sensor or better that's where I'm going if I haven't already migrated completely to Canon first!