1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D owners - how do you grip your camera?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pdk42, May 27, 2013.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I recently picked up a HLD-6 grip. I'm loving the "part 1" bit (the slim horizontal grip), but I'm finding it hard to justify the extra size and weight of the vertical grip and additional battery holder - as much as I love both these features.

My wife though, who uses my camera from time to time, much prefers the OMD "au nature".

So, I was wondering what the general consensus is and thought a poll would be fun...

2. szanda

szanda Mu-43 Regular

I am using first part most of time, but when I am doing some paid documentary work, I use both parts, just for added battery.

3. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    My HLD-6G is only removed to swap the battery. :biggrin:

The HLD-6P is added when appropriate - with larger lenses for balance, if shooting predominantly portrait, when I want two batteries, etc. :thumbup:

4. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Just the first part of the grip mostly, but when I go travelling, I expect that I'll have both equipped with two batteries going.

5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Ungripped for me.

6. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I used mine gripless at first, then added a half-case, partly to get some extra thickness for my right hand. Then I saw a test of the JB grip, and the price was reasonable (I'm Scots!).

Now I wonder how I did without it: it makes the camera much more comfortable - for me - and is always on.

7. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    RRS L-plate with grip. I dislike the olympus grip.

8. TheCount

TheCount New to Mu-43

Mar 26, 2013
    New York City
    I use both the horizontal grip and the battery grip more often than not. I have large hands, so I appreciate the extra grip surface. I also like using the battery in the grip over the in-camera grip since I don't have to take anything off to change that one.

9. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    No option for 3rd party grips?

10. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Depends on the lens.
    With a bigger lens, like the 75 f/1.8 I use the full grip.
    I don't use a camera strap, so the grip makes carrying the camera much more secure.
    I take the grip off when just using a pancake or one of the smaller lenses.
    Rudy

11. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    Arkansas
    Chris
    First of all, shouldn't "The Full Monty" be no grip at all (or nothing for that matter)? :wink:

I either use the entire grip for better ergonomics (I take a lot of portrait orientation shots), or no grip at all for the size and weight (mainly when I travel).

I'd say the full grip is on about 75% of the time though. I just love the way it feels.

12. For as long as I can remember I've looped the right hand side of the neckstrap around my forefinger to provide extra security on both DSLRs and mirrorless compacts. The loop provides an extra anchor point to support the camera and means that a full grip (as provided by the HLD-6) becomes unnecessary with lighter mirrorless cameras. This works for both a forefinger or thumb trigger style grip as shown below

[​IMG]

13. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    No grip required. Gordy's strap works great for me as the security ribbon.

Though I hardly bring out the super zoom nowadays.

14. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    No grip for me. specially when carrying my camera daily or street shooting.

BUT i do use my grip when travelling long or using "heavy" lenses such as the P12-35 or the P100-300

15. Nordiquefan

Nordiquefan Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    +1 for au naturel. I tried the Olympus grip in store and I think I prefer the OM-D without it.
    Curious about the RRS grip though.:confused:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Mu-43 mobile app

16. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I got the J.B grip on mine.

For 50 bux, its the BEST accessory you can buy for your OM-D.

I must say, J.B is a nice guy too. I had a problem with the grip and he sent me a new one expedited, no questions asked. Didnt even ask for the original, he told me to "destroy it" :D

17. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!

No option for all of the above? I have two E-M5s, the one I go sans grip, and te other I swich between te landscape grip and te full grip, depending on my mood!

18. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    For me it really depends on what I am doing. When hiking (=every extra weight is bad) I go grip less. Otherwise I always have the landscape part on for better handling. The battery part comes on whenever I want the additional battery part or expecting lots of portrait oriented shots.

This flexibility is actually what I love about the E-M5. It can be as small and light like a Ponit'n'Shot (grip less + pancake) or can turn into a serious 'full size' thing (grip + bigger lens) when you need it.

19. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    The HLD-6 offers a great choice and is very good value for money!

I use the first part when I have my short lenses on and will be doing landscape / street work, I use the "Full monty" when fitting the 100 - 300 or doing portrait work, the additional controls on the battery part are superb and the balance is great with the 75 / 100-300 and full grip.

20. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I like the versatility and ergonomics of the Olympus grip; whether going grip-less, half or full grip as the situation requires. When shooting stand-up comedy some weeks back, the portrait grip was helpful for maintaining that orientation throughout hours of shooting. It avoided my elbow getting into another patron's space if I were using the camera without the grip. The landscape grip puts the shutter button forward where it normally is in many DSLR designs.