OM-D owners! A quick question.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dissembled, Jul 27, 2015.

1. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    For some reason, my E-M10 now shows the AF grid when I'm selecting my AF point. The grid is quite intrusive! It didn't do this before. What do I have to do so the AF points grid does not show up during AF selection?

2. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    its only there for a few seconds ......

3. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    It's visible while I'm moving the AF point and thus hinders composition for me. There are multiple times where my designated AF point changes dramatically in the frame. The grid annoys me.

Can someone help? It was off before. Not sure what I did that turned it on.

4. The grid won't show up if you use the touchscreen to move the focus point. Similarly, pressing the magnify button once changes the focus square to a rectangle which can be moved around with the d-pad buttons, but this is a slow process compared to the touchscreen. From this mode, pressing "OK" changes the focus point back to the square and the d-pad buttons revert back to being function buttons.

5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    AFAIK the grid is always there. Maybe before you were using a smaller or larger grid that was less visible?
    You can cycle the grid size pressing Info and the back wheel (IIRC).

6. ashburtononline

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Are you seeing a light grey grid or a heavy green grid ? Info / rear dial gives options !

7. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    Thanks. Though I wish the camera allows for touchscreen controls to select the AF point when using the EVF! That would have been an awesome feature.

8. ashburtononline

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    How could you use touchscreen controls while using the EVF. If you are using the EVF, the screen gets turned off!

9. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Panasonic cameras actually implement just such a feature that allows one to use the touchscreen to select the AF point while using the EVF. Some who use this feature swear by its usefulness. Unfortunately, Olympus hasn't enabled any similar functionality.

10. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    Is there a way to lessen the information displayed when half pressing the shutter? Also, when I press the Info button while shooting, there's a 14x label in the lower left corner and for some reason, I can't change the AF point via touch! Why?

11. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You can use the screen to touch the focus point (only) & then use the EVF to take the photo. The new E-M10 Mk II will allow touching the screen for the AF target point while using the EVF, but that's the only model with that feature so far.

12. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    I've found out that simply pressing the Info button again allows for touch focus to be reactivated.

13. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    The EM10 II has that! I think they call it the AF trackpad feature.

14. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    My GX7 has that feature. Pity the E-M10 Mark I doesn't.

15. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The use of the Info key in that application is new to me (haven't actually done it before) & I'm surprised there is something new to learn each day as these cameras (E-M5 & E-M1 in my case) are as complex as they are with there being several ways of changing settings etc. The other way (than the Info key) to return to the initial touch screen after having pressed the Info key is by pressing the OK button once & the 2nd time it clears the Touch AF point & returns to the last (or home) preset AF target point.

The use of pressing the Info key after using Touch to focus is to use the front dial to change the magnification or size of that focus box otherwise it can be changed by touch (before pressing the Info key) with the touch slider on the right of the screen, as well as being able to go into magnified view by touching the icon in the bottom right of the screen (& back again).

• Like Like x 1
  16. dissembled

dissembled Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2013
    NJ
    A. Quia
    Sorry to resurrect my old thread, but I have another question...I've recently acquired an E-M10 II, and I love it. One of the issues I have with it, though, is the sheer amount of icons cluttering the rear screen while shooting.

I know that pressing the Info button allows for an icon-less view. Trouble is that I can't alter the focus point (via touch)during this view. What menu setting can I alter so I could have a clutter free view but still retain the ability to alter the focus point using touch?

And yes, I know about the EVF setting where the icons are set at a designated portion at the bottom of the screen. I'm talking specifically about the rear LCD screen which I use more often.

Thanks in advance, kind folks.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016