1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D or Panasonic...?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by makoti, Aug 17, 2012.

1. makoti

makoti Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Virginia
    Looking at a new camera, and leaning to the OM-D. I want to do my due diligence & check out Panasonics direct competition, but am not sure which one that is. The GH2? The GX1? Which Panny offering would be the overall closest to the OM-D?

2. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I personally chose the G5 over the OMD. Better grip than the basic OMD (without 300$ battery grip). Similar image quality..you give up IBIS and weather sealing but get a built in flash, in camera HDR, silent electronic shutter and most importantly for me around 300$ cheaper. (or 600$ after adding the grip).

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The OM-D is expensive, but it is one hell of a camera. Enough that people are switching away from Canon 7Ds etc. The GH2 does have better handling in some respects, and much better video modes. Image quality is not quite up there on the aging GH2, but it's due for a successor in September. The GX1 is a more compact body without a viewfinder hump. If you do want a viewfinder, the G5 is now available and does a nice job of splitting the difference at a much lower price point. Sheer still image quality is still not up to the OM-D level.

I gather that you're new to the system, so it is worth noting that Olympus is running a monster rebate program on the OM-D: $150 off lenses, up to three lenses for $450 total.

4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I think this is making a mountain out of a molehill. I have not seen many head-to-head comparisons, but the ones I have seen show the difference is slight if any

5. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    The noteworthy differences between the E-M5 and the G5 are to be found in the ergonomics, controls, and features... the difference in output quality is so close as to be inconsequential to me.

I like the E-M5 and have been shooting with it for a while now (along with GH2, G3, and E-PL3). I have a G5 arriving tomorrow. I'm looking forward to that.

As a user of both Pany and Oly m4/3 gear, I especially appreciate the effort that Pany designers and engineers put into ergonomics, handing, grip, controls, menu design, etc.

For me, the Pany cameras do feel better in the hand, more natural, and the menus are so much easier to work with.

While the E-M5 is a great camera, I think I will find the G5 every bit as great in it's own ways and features. Which I will prefer is yet to be seen. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's the G5. The IQ difference between the two cameras is so close as to be a wash for me. What I'm especially interested in with the G5 is the silent electronic shutter, HDR feature, AEB settings, 1080p/60p video mode for high quality slo-motion video capability, and the comfortable feel-in-the-hand ergonomics. The fully articulating 920k LCD screen is a gem as well... allowing for a huge range of shooting positions above and below the head in both landscape and portrait orientations... and the screen can be closed against the body to protect it's surface while not in use... great design. The $600 savings (when including the optional grip for the E-M5, which is commonly needed to achieve the best hold on the camera) is a significant factor as well.

I'd say either choice is a good one... it just depends on which body feels better in your hands, has the particular feature set that would be of most use to you, and appeals to your budget as well.

6. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    G5 is the way to go. $300 cheaper, or in my mind, actually $600 cheaper with the grip I find necessary. That $300-$600 you will save can go towards some fancy lenses. And a G5 with good lens will trump a EM-5 with kit lens any day.

7. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    :bravo-009:

8. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    either way you can't go wrong. if you have the extra $, you can consider the OMD, it has been well-received. the G5 is still relatively new, I would like to wait for real-world shooting experiences like the ones that are posted here in this forum. having said that, i'm leaning towards the G5 though, i like the panasonic's handling of its menu and buttons, very easy for me to adapt. good luck!

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Don't forget the all-metal build with heavy-duty magnesium-alloy frame and complete weather proofing on the OM-D E-M5, as well as the 5-axis in-body Image Stabilization. The dual control dials are also pretty hard to beat.

10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Everyone is entitled to their own assessment of course, at least until DXO gets their act together :biggrin: But I'm running the E-M5 and the GH2 head to head and I'm seeing a lot to like in the E-M5 files over the GH2. Noticeably better DR, less noise at high ISO -- but more importantly, a far better noise pattern. GH2's absolute noise may not be so different, but the shape and color shifts it causes are much worse than the E-M5.

Of course whether that justifies the substantial price difference is up to the individual. DPR comparison shots cover the realities of it fairly well, IMO.

11. Reactions

Reactions Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Norcal
    Gabe
    But most m43 lenses aren't weather proofed so that's a bit moot isn't it?

Op I'd wait for a comparison

12. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Normally I don't answer the question like this, if you ask which better camera to buy there are chance you have to rely on our preference rather than your own preference. Tough I mostly use Olympus, my experience with GF-1 also make me happy...there's a good side in both sides of m4/3.

If the budget limit you go with the G5 it's new and should be cheaper than OM-D EM-5.
    If you plan to have a lot of non-native and non OIS lenses go with OM-D it's 5 axis IBIS will help you a lot.
    If you need weather sealed camera go with OM-D.
    If you prefer the compact form go with GX-1.
    If you need more P&S compact then the GF-5 or EPM-1 should serve you better.
    If you prefer warm JPEG go with OM-D.
    If you prefer cool JPEG go with G5.
    If you need high ISO and RAW go with OM-D.
    If you need swivel LCD choose the G5.

The good thing about m4/3 format is there's quite a number of choice to choose for either new or old. My friend even considering G2 and G10 yesterday as his first foray to m4/3 format...

• Like Like x 1
  13. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    With only 2 (soon 3) weather sealed lens to choose, the weather sealed m4/3 camera may sound like a gimmick, but never forget there are lot of choice in 4/3 lenses as well (HG and SHG). I don't know how people habit when take picture under the rain but I tend to stick with only one lens once I go outside in the wet or dusty environment, as changing lens in those environment only inviting water and dust to camera inner parts.

14. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Before committing to either an OLY or PANY M 4/3 camera, a dear friend who had both (his wife preferred one, while he the other!) offered to loan me both camera bodies along with a Pany 20/1.7 pancake and a 14-45 zoom. Armed with the cameras I spent a week getting to know both systems side by side. Admittedly my bias towards the Oly began early on in the audition. I preferred the Oly's image quality first and foremost, but also the way the camera worked with my style of shooting. Bottom line for me was that I much preferred the OLY over the PANY. If one is able, check out both before deciding. I'm glad I did!

15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yup, you got it. One or two foul-weather lenses is all you really need. If I expect to require lens change(s) in foul weather or really dusty/sandy areas, then I will first mount a 1.4x teleconverter and take the 1 stop hit in light in order to keep my body sealed at all times. The Olympus EC-14 teleconverter is fully weather sealed like the Zuiko lenses.

16. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    This is good :thumbup:

17. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    One option is that buy what ever cheap one and use it for awhile, THEN you know what YOU appreciate and what to look after with your second body.

18. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Important features for many shooters, but for me, not enough to bridge the price gap. In my economic analysis, I assigned an incremental value of $150 to IBIS, $50 to difference in IQ, and $1 to weather sealing (I don't have a need or desire to use a camera in inclement weather). As I do need a substantial grip, my starting point was a $600 difference, so the G5 would win on pure economics. Of course, YMMV and other factors may merit consideration.

19. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Except that the comparisons shown on this site seem to show very little difference in high ISO between the G5 and EM-5. And the major advantages of Oly's image processing have always been with jpegs. In raw, I don't think there's going to much reason to choose one over the other (based on image quality).

20. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Yes, and buying used is a good way to check out a new system, too. If you end up not liking what you buy, you can generally resell for close to what you paid for it. Much of my current gear, including a G2, and my 14-140, 7-14 and 45mm macro were bought used.

• Like Like x 1