1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OM-D, older non-legacy lenses and high-FPS burst

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by labcoatguy, Nov 25, 2012.

1. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    I've noticed that if I shoot in the high-FPS burst mode with certain older lenses like the Panasonic 20mm and the 14-54 II 4/3 lens, stopping down drastically reduces the burst rate. I've noticed that, unlike with the 12-50 kit lens and the 40-150 zoom, each frame is preceded by the aperture opening up and stopping down, even if I link AEL to the halfway press of the shutter button (AEL/AFL modes 1 or 3 in the gears menu). It doesn't seem to matter which focusing or PASM mode I'm in. I'm going to see if Olympus has a way around this; in the meantime, has anyone else experienced this and/or found a workaround?

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I forget which company it was but the problem has been acknowledged by at least one manufacturer and there is no fix coming. Basically the camera opens up the aperture for metering purposes, and the older lenses simply cannot move that fast. AEL is a good guess but I think the camera always does it anyway... Maybe M mode plus holding down DOF preview? Long shot but who knows.

3. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    I fear it may be so; I'll just switch to my MSC lenses if I have to shoot bursts in bright light. Btw Olympus technical support seems to be pretty uneven, though that's probably true of most tech support departments; I had one guy completely on the ball when discussing my shutter problem a while ago, but this guy I'm talking to right now about the burst mode issue is just grasping at straws left and right.