1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OM-D noise when half pressing shutter

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nuclearboy, Jul 3, 2013.

1. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Chris
    Hello,

On the OM-D. When the shutter is half pressed, does this initiate some type of little motor. I here it focus but the little "motor" noise does not stop as long as I hold down the shutter.

Is this normal behavior?

Thanks for any help

2. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    It's normal behavior -- that's the sound of the active IBIS (in body image stabilization) mechanism.

3. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    it used to be on all the time when powered up. they made a firmware update that only turned on the IBIS cooling fan when the shutter release was depressed. I wish they made it configurable. I could really use the IBIS on all the time with legacy glass.

4. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    The presence of a cooling fan was the subject of some debate when the EM5 originally came out, but there is no fan.

Also, IBIS was never on all the time; you always had to at least depress the shutter halfway to get it to activate, via the following menu setting:

Gear C -> Half Way Rls with IS, select "On"

The only change in the firmware update you refer to was that the noise became less apparent when IBIS was not activated (i.e. before depressing the shutter).

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    That' the sound of a little miracle. I crack a little smile every time I hear it. Enjoy your IBIS>

Gordon

6. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    It's dependent in the setting in Gears C, Half Way Rls with IS...that will determine if you have IS on when you half-press, or only when you take the picture.