1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

OM-D Noise Reduction test

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Foster2380, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Foster2380

Foster2380 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2012
    Well I wanted to determine if the noise reduction settings have an affect on the RAW image file; from another tread there was discussion that it might. This may not be news at all, but I was bored so instead of searching the net I figured I'd try it out on my own. Below is what I found. To my eye, it doesn't appear that NR affects the RAW image.

RAW files were converted to JPEG in Lightroom 4 with no adjustments made, all sliders at 0. JPEG's were SOOC. 100% crop in CS5. ISO 6400 for each shot f/5.6

RAW Noise Reduction - off, Noise Filter - off:
    RAWconv No NR 6400.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

RAW Noise Reduction - auto, Noise Filter - standard:
    RAWconv NRautoNFstd 6400.jpg

JPEG Noise Reduction - auto, Noise Filter - low:
    JPEG NRautoNLlow 6400.jpg

2. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Unless you're doing a long exposure Noise Reduction (dark field subtraction) won't do anything. You'll know if it's being activated by the extra blackout period after your shot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.