OM-D Myset not saving SOME menu settings

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by 180degreeshutter, Apr 28, 2013.

1. 180degreeshutter

180degreeshutter New to Mu-43

Apr 7, 2013
    OK. I've learnt how to use Mysets. I think.

I've figured out the difference between SAVING the Myset and CHOOSING the Myset.

And it's working, mostly. For instance, Manual Focus for MySet4 (which is my legacy lens settings) and S-AR for Myset1 (my default decent light set).

But there's two settings that I just cannot get to stick:

Menu/Custom Menu/C(Release)/Half Way Ris With IS - choices are Off/On

Menu/Custom Menu/D(Disp/etc/LV Close Up Mode - choices are mode1/mode2

I want Off and mode1 for my ordinary shooting and On and mode2 for my manual focus stuff.

No way can I get these to 'stick' in the Mysets I want them to. I've tried changing other things from the Custom Menu list (e.g. maximum ISO in Auto Iso settings) and can get different values to stick with the different Mysets.

Anybody got this to work?

Or would any kind soul like to try what I'm trying in case I'm having some sort of brainstorm here.

In case it's not obvious, some of the legacy lenses I'm using are long and I'd like all the help I can get with focusing. Hence the IS in the viewfinder/live view and the magnify sticking on half press.

Thanks. 180 degrees
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've noticed that there are some settings that are not stored in Mysets. To make it more infuriating, there are things stored in Mysets that I wish were not - the aperture being the obvious one.
  3. 180degreeshutter

180degreeshutter New to Mu-43

Apr 7, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  4. twic

twic Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 15, 2013
    London, UK
    Aaaaaah! RAAAAAGE!

Thanks so much for finding this and pointing it out. I have also been sitting here in utter confusion about why MySets appear not to work. In my case, it's because i want to have two MySets which differ only in the Half Way Ris With IS and LV Close Up Mode settings (one for automatic lenses, the other for manual ones). I just thought MySets didn't work at all.

Why on earth can these settings not be stored? There is some serious madness going on in Olympus's user interface design team.
  5. DWhite

DWhite Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2013
    To me, the ideal MySet world would be:

1. Done on the PC/Mac so that I can easily see all the options and get useful help along the way. Then I can download it to the camera. That would also give me a nice "backup" of my settings.

2. Since I don't usually want to change everything with a MySet, every item should be able to be set to either:
    a. Set to a particular value, OR
    b. Do not alter the camera's current setting (such as the aperture value as mentioned in a post above).

3. Add a label or visual indicator to show me the currently selected MySet

4. Be harder to accidentally change on the camera. I've several times accidentally changed a MySet to the current settings when I only meant to select a MySet.

Don't get me wrong -- I truly love the concept of the MySets; but they can still be a lot better than the current implementation. Hopefully, Olympus is listening.
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    100% agree on this. The Mysets are a step in the right direction, but there's so much that could be improved. Some of the obvious improvements have been addressed in the later bodies, but Oly's policy seems to be to deliberately not upgrade Oder bodies with new features - very annoying...
  7. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
  8. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Not everything is right with the later models either.

For some arcane reason they only allow you to change parts of the Myset through the Mode dial. It fails to implement the button reassignments that are part of the Myset. The button reassignments work just fine if you change the Myset through the menus, so it can be done. It seems they just missed copying over that part of the programming when they added switching Mysets through the Mode Dial to the Firmware.

On the E-P5 I was hoping to use the Mode Dial to quickly change between set ups for Native and Legacy lenses. All I really wanted was to reassign FN1 between back button focus and focus peaking through Mysets to save a ton of button presses, but no joy.
  9. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    They should have done what Ricoh did, to have a separate menu section for what can be saved by MySet. Right now it's super confusing, some items are saved and some not.