1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OM-D monitor cover cracks.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by smartwombat, Apr 6, 2013.

1. smartwombat

smartwombat Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    Did anyone else miss this?
    I did - I've been away for a while.

Olympus - Service Announcements

02/19/2013

Important Information for OM-D
    Olympus has discovered that a very small number of E-M5 cameras might possess a slight crack in the monitor cover. For all customers with a camera in the potentially affected serial number batches listed below, Olympus would like to offer a free check or repair, if required.

The affected range of serial numbers is: BEK501001 – BEK508887 (black) BF4501001 – BF4503865 (silver)

Should your camera be listed in one of the above serial number batches, please call the free-of-charge hotline 00800 67 10 83 00 to receive support for a free check and repair of your product.

2. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    People probably did. Someone posted it inside the original thread though.

3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    So 10,750 cameras were made with this issue before they changed their manufacturing process. Could it be that was all they produced in almost a year's time?

4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    That's the BEK series in Europe. I have a BEJ503XXX with a cracked bezel in the USA.

5. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    it's still just under a year yet since the E-M5 announcement, so unless you are the one of the extremely lucky few, it's time to send your camera in before the 1-yr warranty ends.

6. rozza

rozza Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    New Zealand
    I'm pretty gutted that I now have a crack after only purchasing it several weeks ago. And on top of that I've been extra careful since knowing about the issue before I bought it.

Doesn't seem worth sending in for repair until I plan to sell it, or as it nears the end of my 2 year warranty (if my camera's even covered for the crack here in NZ).

Anyway, as long as it doesn't affect it in any other way besides aesthetically, I'll just avoid looking at it!

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Is your serial number inside or outside the range given?

8. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    irrelevant what the serial number is. It's a knoissue and it'll be covered bt consumer law and warranty.

Gordon

9. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
  10. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Suggest printing that page as it's Olympus admitting there is an issue with some screens should yours ever have an issue, even if it's not in that serial number range.

Shame it's only Olympus Europe, and not the head office.

11. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    My OM-D falls in said range, but I can't see any cracks. What's the monitor cover anyway?
    I'm really hesitant to send them my camera, and wait weeks for them to return it back (most probably without anything done to it anyway).

Can anybody explain what that crack is, and is it right from production or can it occur at a later point too?

12. Mikefellh

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    This page from Olympus Amerca explains everything, and shows where the cracks can occur:
    http://cache.olympusamerica.com/sta...ce_announcement/E-M5_Service_Announcement.pdf

Shoud add it lists the North American serial numbers you have to look out for...I know my black one is in the range, I haven't checked my silver one yet.

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The crack finally raised its ugly head on one camera and there is a slight-rise-in-the-plastic-soon-to-be-a-crack on the other camera.

As this is purely cosmetic and such a slight blemish ... I'm not giving it another thought.

Gary

15. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
  16. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
  17. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    The crack on mine is at the very bottom of the LCD screen and can barely be seen (it can be felt with a fingernail), but I don't particularly want to send my EM5 away for any length of time (especially since the crack is not all that significant).

18. rozza

rozza Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    New Zealand
    Outside - mine's a BEM****** number purchased here in NZ.

19. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

I'm wondering if Olympus are going to cover it outside warranty as well... While I haven't actually read the T&Cs, this is surely a manufacturing fault, I would imagine they'd fix it even past warranty? My E-M5 has the crack but as many other users here I don't care about it too much and I've used it over prolonged periods in heavy rain before - hopefully it won't get any worse, the screw and seals are still keeping the parts together (I hope).

20. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    There is a bump just starting to turn to crack on mine. I can just feel the edge of a crack with my fingernail. I'm in the US, outside the serial # ranges(last 4 digits are in the 9s) and have the black version I bought in October. I'm not terribly worried about it at this point - I'm sure my camera will long be obsolete before it becomes a major problem. I'd be more concerned about sending my camera in - and having to worry about it getting lost, damaged in shipping etc. Just out of curiosity has anyone tried backing off the screw a microturn? I'll probably leave it alone, but was just wondering.