1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D manual focus assist + Olympus 12mm lens question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nuno_cruz, May 15, 2013.

1. nuno_cruz

nuno_cruz Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 18, 2012
    Amsterdam
    Nuno Cruz
    Hi everyone,

I have a situation that I would like to resolve but I haven't been able to find the correct setup.

When I have MF assist enabled, I am shooting in any mode, S-AF, MF, etc, if I pull back the ring of the 12mm to use manual focus, the manual focus assist zoom does not take effect, why?

How can I make it work in this situation?

2. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I think the ring pull-back prevents the lens from communicating with the camera.

3. nuno_cruz

nuno_cruz Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 18, 2012
    Amsterdam
    Nuno Cruz
    That's unlikely since I still can control the aperture.

4. mac1054

mac1054 New to Mu-43

Did you ever find the answer? I'm having the same issue.

5. AG_Alex2097

AG_Alex2097 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    The whole point of pulling back the focus ring is to be able to do full manual focus, which means focus assists won't work as you're supposed to be doing it manually, you can still use a function button to bring up peaking and/or magnify though

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Having focus assists doesn't mean you are not doing full manual focus. ???

That is just the way Olympus designed it. When you engage the clutch any focus peaking or magnification will turn off. You can turn them on via assigning one or both to a button, but it won't automatically bring up either when you turn the focus ring while the clutch is engaged and you are mechanically changing the focus (vs. focus by wire when the clutch is disengaged).

7. AG_Alex2097

AG_Alex2097 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    You're using digital assists, so it's not full manual, is it? That's how i see it anyway, it makes sense to me to have assists disabled when going to full manual focus, you can use MF mode (or AF-s + MF) if you want it to automatically trigger, albeit admittingly without the rather nicely damped and limited focusing ring

8. ChrisN

ChrisN Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2015
    On my 12-40 & e-m10, pulling back and turning the ring will automatically turn on any manual focus aids I have enabled, regardless of mode. What lens & camera is this problem happening on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mu-43 mobile app

9. HalPAnderson

HalPAnderson Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 27, 2014
    Canada
    Me, too. With the 12-40 and an E-M1.
    Hal

10. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    As far as I see it, if you are adjusting the focus and making the judgement if the shot is in focus, the that is fully manual. Having the display magnify or peak only gives you something to help your judgement (just like using the scale on a lens for example), but it is sill all you making the decision and setting the focus.

It was discussed here some months ago and I don't recall if anyone got around to testing it with the 12-40 (I don't have one). But I did test it on the 17/1.8 and pulling the ring would dump you out of focus assist modes and turning it did not bring them back up. As the 12-40 is a newer model they may have changed the behavior for that lens. Also now that I am thinking about it, I haven't retried it since updating my E-M1 from v3 to v4 firmware.

11. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    Same with my E-PL7 + 12-40. I have peaking turned on (and magnify turned off), and it works as advertised.

12. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    With the E-M1 w/firmware 4.01 and the 12mm w/firmware 1.1
    Camera in A, S, M or P mode – the focus clutch when engaged to manually focus does not automatically pull up the focus assist magnify and peaking that I have set.
    When I press the button that I have focus assist set for, only peaking comes up when focusing. If I put the camera in Manual Focusing then the 12mm brings up the magnify and peaking anytime I try to focus, no matter where the focus clutch is set.

The 12-40mm does automatically being up both magnify and peaking focus assist when the manual focus is engaged from the clutch.

13. brabs2

brabs2 New to Mu-43

Jul 14, 2016
    Although this thread has been going for a few years the information is still relevant with current firmware and cameras ... I have an EM1 and am used to both peaking and magnification in any mode, love it: I recently bought the 12mm 2.0 and it sometimes works in both peaking and mag. I would expect consistency thats all. If I snap it to MF it shows peaking and mag for one adjustment then it turns that function off ( its like oh crap I shouldn't have given you that, back to standard) if I snap the ring back out and in again, I have it for one more adjustment. On my 12-40 pro, 40-150pro, 7-14 pro the full functionality works. I just bought a second body, an EM5ii and can only assign one of the two to one button so chose magnification.