OM-D M1 direct aperture/DOF preview?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by marcotronic, May 28, 2014.

1. marcotronic

marcotronic Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2014
    Germany
    Hello,

I'm usually using "A" mode on the OM-D M1 (and in actually all other cams I've used before) and set the aperture for the desired depth of field. By default the electronic viewfinder and display seem to preview the resulting image at the lowest aperture available if I interpret the preview right. So when I want to actually see what effect the chosen aperture has on the final image I have to press that little button in front of the camera (to the right side of the lens) and the display and viewfinder show the actual resulting depth of field in the image while that button is pressed down.

My question: Is there any menu setting or anything else I can set so that I get this direct aperture/DOF feedback permanently without having to press that button? I actually expected the M1 to do just that (showing "real" preview of the resulting image with chosen aperture etc...)

thanks a lot for your help in advance!
    Marco

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I'm not sure that you can and I can't remember it being a feature on any 'modern' camera (one dating post-70s). The idea is to use maximum brightness of the viewfinder for focussing etc and then just use the depth of field preview to check DoF, if necessary. Also, that check isn't always absolutely accurate, so it needs to be tempered with judgement and experience.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Sorry dude. Pressing the preview button is what will show a proper preview. That's just the way it works for now.

Patrick K

• Like Like x 1
  4. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    Adapt on lenses and set the aperture. You'll be always previewing that aperture without a button.

5. marcotronic

marcotronic Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2014
    Germany
    What do you mean by "Adapt on lenses and set the aperture"? No matter which of my lenses I use (see signature) - I always see the widest aperture by default - not the actual chosen one. When I set the aperture of my 75mm to 1.8 for example the preview reflects that aperture - but only this one, even when I set the aperture to - let's say - 11. If I press that preview button on the front I see the actual effect of that aperture on the preview display. I don't see this when I don't press that button.

Marco

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I think he meant use legacy manual lenses that have no automatic aperture control.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Sahib7

Sahib7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2013
    Or fully manual native lenses, like the Voigtlanders!

• Like Like x 1
  8. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

I'm afraid the answer is no. What you're looking for is stop down metering, which is something the E-M1 and most contemporary digital cameras don't do with electronically coupled lenses. Many film bodies have this feature, but you won't find it on modern cameras, unless indirectly when using a manual lens.

As you probably noticed, your E-M1 will dynamically control your aperture during metering, i.e. will close it down automatically when pointed at bright light.

I guess you'll have to do it the old school way. Just think how many cameras have no DoF preview at all! Think of rangefinders :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. jonlong

jonlong Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2013
    There's a reason for this, too. The auto focus works best with the most light, so you want it working with the widest aperture. Also, image quality in the EVF can be lost if it is boosting the brightness for a darker image.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  10. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Very good point. Plus ideally you also want shallow (ish) DoF so that the AF servo can find the focal point easier when there is a noticeable change in contrast between the area in focus and what's in front of / behind it. However the optimal amount of light is the priority I think - proof is that your camera will stop down the aperture when metering a very bright scene. All the aperture "rattlesnake" effects happen when the scene brightness keeps changing.

So for all those reasons it's probably best to only use DoF preview as an extra. In fact once you "learn" a lens you should be able to visualise the DoF, this is how this has traditionally been dealt with.

11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    True, but on the flip side, you'll get into trouble with lenses that have focus shift as they stop down, since you're focusing using one aperture and exposing using another. So the option would be nice. That said, it's usually only a significant problem with very wide aperture lenses, of which m4/3 has almost none.

• Like Like x 1
  12. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Actually what I meant was that the camera's AF engine would want shallow DoF - shortly speaking I think the camera more-or-less (tm) knows what it's doing. And thanks for reminding me of the focus shift. Possibly with the Voigtlaenders only, but out of curiosity I'll give my PL25 a test.