OM-D lost a button!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Pennington, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Pennington

Pennington Mu-43 Regular

So has this happened to any other OM-D owners? I just got home from shooting a wedding and found that the Delete button on one of my OM-Ds is missing. The rubber underpiece is still there, but the plastic button itself appears to have been pulled off. Probably while it was hanging from my shoulder during all the shooting it caught on the bag or my belt or something.

I'm really hoping that when I reach Olympus Service on Monday morning, they'll be able to just send me a button that I can pop back on there. Seems like it should be a $.30 cent piece. But I'm afraid they'll want me to send the camera in to the service center, which would be ridiculous for this kind of "repair."

So if anyone has experienced this before, how was it resolved for you?

2. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Wow that's a sad story a button should last as long as the camera, the last time I need to replace something like this is when my E-1 DC input rubber door break. It need sometimes to order since Olympus not preparing this part as fast moving part.

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I believe the key is to go post on DPR that Olympus' quality control is awful, that they'll never beat Canikon, they're going to go out of business any day, and everyone is stupid for buying the camera.

That's normal, right? Otherwise it would imply most of the people on DPR are idiots and that can't be the case :rofl:

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    You don't know that...maybe to fix it properly it has to be poped in from underneath. Since you popped off one the portion that retains it in might be lost inside the camera.

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    This is actually pretty worrying. Not that one button falling off is a catastrophe, but there have been enough QC problem reported to make me wonder if Oly is cutting corners. One member here reported that one of the control dials fell off, for example. Not enough to indicate the camera should be avoided, but more than I can recall seeing about any other modern camera.

6. Pennington

Pennington Mu-43 Regular

I have to honestly say that this doesn't worry me. No, I'm not happy that it happened. But considering that I had was shooting with both cameras, slinging one over my shoulder while I used the other, it isn't impossible that one could have gotten caught on something and, in my hurry to pull it around and grab a shot, I caused this to happen. I once tore the adjustment knob off my watch with a camera strap the same way.

It'd be easy to say that "this never happened with my Canon cameras," but then again, the buttons on the Canons were all different - generally larger and flatter. So I don't think it's really a case of Olympus having poor QC, or a bad design, etc. It's just one of those freak things that happened during the rush of a shoot.

My only real fear is how the repair process will go, as I outlined in my original post. Looking at the camera, it doesn't appear that there's any part of the button that has to go under the back plate. I think it just sits in the hole, with the rubber post shoved up into it. In a normal situation, getting it off would require...well, pliers and the desire to remove it. But I don't think it would ever just fall off, and I could probably use them for another 100 shoots without it happening again.

I'll be calling Oly first thing tomorrow morning and will be sure to post with the outcome. Maybe I'll even break out the macro lens and grab a photo, just so you can all see exactly what I mean.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SteveBeck

SteveBeck Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 26, 2012
    I read someones thumb dial fell apart while changing settings during use.. Great camera, I think and feel when I use mine it needs to be handled with a little more care than a DSLR.

8. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Ive sent mine in twice already. Both because of dust under the AA filter (they didnt see it first time) . They are very nice people. They didnt hassle me a single bit and immediately processed my work orders.

It took 3 days for them to repair it both cases. They will clean the inside and outside of the camera also and 2 day air it to you.

Only crappy thing is that your stuck with the shipping charges going to their repair facility.

9. Pennington

Pennington Mu-43 Regular

Just got off the phone with Olympus support. They were very nice about the whole thing. Bad news is that I have to send it in for repairs. The CS agent I spoke to actually called up the repair center to double check if there was any way to just send me the part, but no such luck.

The good news is, they are covering the cost of shipping it in for me, both because I've owned it such a short time and to make up for the inconvenience of having to send it at all for such a minor part.

I have to say I'm very happy with how well the call went, and with the resolution. I really can't remember the last time I talked with a customer service center that was so kind, considerate, and willing to help. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  10. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I was just thinking a few minutes ago that I've heard more OM-D issues here than any other camera. I don't know if that's just a function of it being a hot new camera so more people have one and are shooting with them a lot, but it's definitely a noticeable trend following the threads here. I was actually just wondering if this happened with previous cameras when they were new releases, or if this is specific to the OM-D.

11. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Well, I complaints about te E-330 that Olympus never bothered to fix!

12. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

OMG, this is sweet, you just made my day ;)

13. There does seem to have been some issues, but the ones that I have seen have been fairly random. Bad news from the point of view of quality control, good news from the point of view of there not being any particular design flaw (as opposed to design idiosyncracies :wink:).

Also, since it has attracted alot of first time buyers, when I see an issue posted about the E-M5 I first try to determine if it is a real problem or a complaint from someone who has just blown in from the DSLR world and was expecting it to work exactly like their old camera did.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Pennington

Pennington Mu-43 Regular

Just wanted to give an update on my E-M5. I got it back from Olympus seven days later with a new button, full cleaning, and completely checked out. No charge at all, plus they put the 1.2 firmware update on (which I wouldn't do because of the issues).

My only complaints are these: first, that once Olympus had it, their communication was poor. I was supposed to get some status emails when they received it, finished, etc., but never got any. M'eh, whatever.

But what does concern me is that they sent it back via UPS without a signature requirement. B&H required a signature when they sold it to me, and I don't like that Olympus would have let them leave a $1k camera sitting on the porch.

So all in all, I'd give Olympus service a B+. Which is still better than Canon's service, IMO. So I'm pretty happy overall :smile:

Sent from my NookColor using Mu-43 App

15. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    Glad you got it back fixed. I have not sent anything to Olympus yet, but with both Canon and Nikon, when I sent them an item it was like it dropped into the black hole of Calcutta. Never got any info until it was finally delivered back home, though Canon was worse since they kept it for weeks and never actually did the repair.