1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D Loose USB port?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ryanlogic, Oct 5, 2012.

1. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Anyone else having problems with the USB port on their E-M5?

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I have not yet experienced this, though, I am not using much as I am pulling the SD card to upload to the computer these days.

3. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Over the years I've read about just about every make of camera developing this. As a result, the only camera I've connected to a computer in the last half dozen years or more is my OM-D, and then only because that's the only way to upgrade the firmware. The most alarming cases are/were Leica M8 and M9 boards. :eek:

4. gunky

gunky Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 2, 2012
    Hello. Be advised that if you damaged your USB port the warranty may not cover that...
    Check if the midle conector it's not bent.

5. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    It looks fine, and if I wiggle it it only wiggles a little and doesn't feel loose. But when it's connected it connects and disconnects when I wiggle it.

I know it wouldn't be covered under warranty...but I wonder how much it would cost to fix...

I was really looking forward to doing timelapse photography and it would be nice to be able to use a wireless remote...

6. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    No problems here with either my E-PL1 or OM-D and I use the USB port almost daily to upload photos to my computer.

7. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Mine prolly got knocked loose.

Heartbreaking really.

8. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Why wouldn't they cover it under warranty. Could have been a bad solder connection.

9. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I agree. It should be covered unless there are obvious signs of user damage.

10. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Does anyone know how long the process takes?

11. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Guess not

12. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    You'll have to check with your dealer... sorry to read about your trouble. If it is any comfort, it's not only cameras that develop problems with the #@$%@#$ mini USB. I had several music related equipment with similar issues over the years... :mad:

13. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Honestly, I'm just thinking that I should deal with it...

I gonna buy a cheap remote shutter release and see if it still works consistently.... I really wanted to try some time lapse shots but It isn't the kind of photography I was planning on doing every day....and if it doesn't work, I will just have to keep pressure on the port when I perform updates which will probably be far and few in between.

The most upsetting aspect is resale value....I was kind of planning on selling this body when the next OM-D came out...but I think this problem will deter a lot of people...and I couldn't live with myself for not mentioning it.

I can deal with the issue, but I pray that this is the only one I will see.

14. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    If/when that USB connector "under pressure" disconnects during a firmware update, you're going to have a dead camera or dead lens that needs to go back.

My last dealing with the US repair center took about 12 days, which included a weekend and 4 days of transit. Olympus Canada has a toll free number. Why not just call this week?

15. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    I should definitely do that...

16. gunky

gunky Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 2, 2012
    If the USB port isn't cleary damaged by user the warranty covers that but send the camera and the cable to repair center. In this case the mainboard, ccd, stabilizer will be all changed...