1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D live view shorted out in light rain

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by (G), Aug 5, 2013.

1. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Minneapolis
    Just a heads-up for those out in the rain:

Had my OM-D with me in the wilds of Alaska's interior for 12 days, and went hiking one day in light rain. I knew the OM-D was advertised as being water resistant, but I kept the camera (with kit lens) under my rain jacket anyhow, taking it out only occasionally to shoot.

It was fine all day. But on the bus ride back to the cabin when I went to review some of the shots I'd taken, the rear live view screen was fine for about 5 seconds, then the left half of the screen went black (shorted out looking), and before I could turn the camera off, the whole screen went black. It never came on again.

The camera was fine for the rest of the trip and I took some great shots using the EVF, but I could never access the full feature menu, nor could I review any of the shots.

I sent it in to Olympus for a fix last week.

2. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Dang, sorry to hear that. How much rain would you say actually fell on the OM-D?

3. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    Maybe not the rain, just imagine the humidity under your jacket, with your persperation and the humid conditions, even the most breathable gortex will have trouble pumping the moisture out.

4. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Yeah, that's what I imagined, what with the moisture and body-heat.

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Terrible luck, I'm sorry for you
    but if the EVF was working fine why couldn't you do the menu or review your shots?

6. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Minneapolis
    The EVF apparently doesn't show reviews of the shots, or I had the camera set up not to.

I could get to the normal EVF menu to adjust exposure, shutter speed, aperture, etc, but couldn't get into the settings menu (the one that has Mysets, card formatting, amount of time to show the shot you just took, clock, etc.)

So while I'd set the camera up for HDR on one myset, and 9 fps burst mode on another, I couldn't access those Mysets to turn them on.

Re: the humidity under my jacket -- good point. Never gave that a thought.

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    There's no way to set it default to using the EVF for menus or playback (one of my pet peeves - all Olympus m4/3 have this problem). However, you can hit the EVF button on the side of the EVF after hitting play (or menu) button to have it display there.

Unfortunately after you go back to shooting mode, the next time you try play/menu it'll be back to trying to display on the rear LCD.

8. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Minneapolis
    Wow -- thanks. Wish I would have known that last week.

Regardless, the camera took some great shots I'm finding out now. We'll just see how long it takes Olympus to return it.

9. RickinAust

RickinAust Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2013
    Australia
    By kit lens I assume it was the 12-50mm weathersealed?
    I have shot in the rain in hot humid conditions, in Cambodia, and the camera worked fine. Only problem was the rain made it look grainy like you shot at high ISO. Very sorry to hear about the screen shorting out. Hope Oly fix it promptly for you.

10. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Minneapolis
    Thanks for the well wishes, everyone. It arrived at Olympus in Texas on Friday, so we'll see what the turnaround time is.

11. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Just a note, the "email me when status changes" is useless. It never told me my camera when from arrived to in repair. I was just expecting a larger potential bill so I kept checking manually to find it in repairs after a couple of days.

12. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Minneapolis
    I found the same thing: no email when Olympus received it. I just kept watching the tracking on UPS to see that it had been signed for last week.

13. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    Hey G, when you had the OM-D in those conditions, did you happen to have the hotshoe cover secured on along with the rear cover just below the hotshoe? Just wondering.