1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OM-D LCD Stuck Pixel Question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by willsterstyle, Jul 14, 2013.

1. willsterstyle

willsterstyle Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Will
    Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this is something that just popped up today or it's always been there and I never looked closely but the OM-D tonight, with my lens cap on, I noticed that there were two pixels on the LCD that were stuck with one blue and one red.

I panicked and thought I had a big problem with stuck pixels.

I discovered the pixel mapping tool. Ran that and now it's gone. My LCD screen looks clean. The weird part is I thought the pixel mapping tool was to fix hot pixels and not LCD issues?

I started to look into hot pixels and eventually I took a RAW photo with the cap on at 200ISO, 1/30 and F/1.4 with my PL25mm. I inspected it using XNView at 100% and didn't find anything strange.

Is this something I should be worried about? Am I just making myself more paranoid than I should be?

Thanks in advance!

2. Kirill

Kirill Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Tallinn, Estonia
    If you want to check your sensor for hot pixels easily, objectively and without straining your eyes, I suggest you take a look at this little bit of software:
    StarZen Technologies, Inc; DataFlex tools and books
    I set my camera as follows prior to taking a shot with the lens cap on:
    M mode, lowest ISO, aperture closed all the way down just to be on the safe side, shutter speed at 1/30, focus switched to manual because otherwise some cameras will hunt and hunt.
    To determine if there are any hot pixels that will be visible to my eyes, I set the left-hand parameter in the software to 30 instead of the default 60. The right-hand parameter is fine the way it is. Then I load the JPEG file (you can test another format as well) and click Test and hold my breath :) If no pixels are listed at the threshold of 30, the sensor is good enough for me. If you re-run the test with that value set to 20 and still no pixels are listed, then your sensor is truly excellent :)

3. willsterstyle

May 13, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Will
    Okay I'll give that a shot. I understand that this is a sensor issue but would that translate to weird stuck pixels on the LCD itself?

From what I've ready everywhere so far, people talk about these hot pixels being seen on JPG/RAW but nobody says anything about seeing visible stuck pixels on the LCD.

The weird part is that now it's gone but I'm worried that the pixel mapping has just masked it.

4. macjansson

macjansson Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Sweden
    A hot pixel or pixels on the sensor will show up on the LCD as the LCD is getting the image from the sensor. You could of course have a faulty LCD and a sensor that is fine but if the faulty pixel is on the sensor it will show up on the LCD, more or less. If it's gone now only tells me that pixel mapping worked. It is my understanding that pixel mapping is used to mask faulty pixels.

5. willsterstyle

May 13, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Will
    If pixel mapping has fixed it, should I worry about this anymore?

Is this something that will "spread" over time. Should I just do an exchange/warranty with Olympus?

6. macjansson

macjansson Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Sweden
    This is not something that will spread. Sure, a pixel can go bad at anytime but the risk of this is not greater if you already have had a pixel go bad. Pixel mapping is a great way of fixing the problem. If your camera is still under warrant then I would check with the manufacturer if they fix the problem. Pixel mapping fixes the problem in such a way that you, as you say, can't see the bad pixel anymore. We're talking photos here, if it looks good it is good.