1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D Known Issues Summary

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by demiian, Jun 22, 2012.

1. demiian

demiian Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 14, 2012
    Hi all,

Sorry if there's already a thread on this issue, but I couldn't find one. So, I thought I'd start a thread with some of the issues that the users have been talking about. Prior to purchasing my OM-D, I did an extensive research on the product as it was going to be my first >$1000 camera. And, after I bought mine, I went over the check list to make sure that I didn't have the problems that some people were having. I thought I'd share my list here, so that others can go through it after the purchase.

Most common ones were:

- Paint job of the silver kit. Some silver bodies had poor (uneven) paint jobs, and that contributed to the slower release of the silver kits in the market. Olympus remedied the problem by making their silver color formula a little darker. Not really a solution, but it did make the flaws less visible. Some earlier productions have brighter silver colors compared to the ones you can find these days.

- Hot-shoe error. Some OM-Ds had issues with FL-300R, the flash module that is on a rebate promotion at the time of this writing.

- More than normal opening between the camera's main body frame and the lens mount. (The place around where E-M5 is etched on and left microphone opening)

- Battery grip's AC adapter rubber cover doesn't stay closed.

Less common ones were:

- LCD malfunctioning. (Flickers and green lines)

- Dead/hot pixels. This one exists for almost all types of cameras. Good to check for, though. Also, check for any oil smudges on the sensor. Some cameras have that issue.

- Slanted lens mount. One user reported this issue and got a reply from Olympus that it won't affect the image. I don't understand how it can't, but... Oh well, mine doesn't have this problem.

- Uneven leatherette cover.

Not a bug, but some issues that some users aren't happy with:

- No support for ISO 100 (50), and the max shutter speed of 1/4000

- 5-axis IS not supported with non-native lenses in the movie mode.

- Shoooooo~~shing sound when turned on. Doesn't bother me.

- Something that has to do with light metering (I didn't quite understand this, but quite a few users are unhappy about this. Didn't bother me, obviously, since I don't even understand what it's about...)

- Small, squishy buttons. Meh. Didn't bother me.

- EVF sensor too sensitive and cannot adjust the sensitivity. This actually is a bit annoying. It's a touch screen, but when I touch, the screen goes black. Hopefully, Olympus would let users control the sensitivity in the later firmware update.

- Lack of wireless shutter release support. I have a wireless release adopter for my E-P2, so no biggie. But, yeah, it would've been nice to have one less thing to carry.

- On/off switch location. This, weirdly enough, I actually liked. :)

So, what's your experience? Have you heard of anything else we should look out for?

• Like Like x 3
  2. demiian

demiian Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 14, 2012
    Oh, I almost forgot. I noticed a bug that I haven't read anywhere else.

So, when I go into Highlight and Shadow Control on the screen, and bring out the shadow and tone down the highlight (like in a reverse "S" shape), the result is exactly what I'd expect. BUT, when I bring the curve back to the normal "straight line" and take a picture, the result still reflects the previous setting!!

Funny thing is that when I make the curve look like "S", that setting gets reflected on the result (more contrast-y). It seems reverting back to the normal "straight line" setting is somehow being ignored.

Everybody follows what I'm saying, right? :confused:

Is anyone else getting this problem?

3. StephenL

StephenL Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2010
    The only "issues" I have are design ones:

The LCD isn't fully articulating

Base ISO at 200 is too high (perhaps this could be fixed in firmware?)

That's it. Otherwise, my camera - one of the first brought into the UK - is faultless (to me!)

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Thanks for the post and summary.

5. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Tough the auto detect sensor of EVF is a bit annoying it's put by Olympus to combat the freeze/hang that happen in EP-3 when user use EVF and their nose accidentally touch the OLED screen. Some people prefer the sensitive of the auto detect sensor because for comparison in NEX-7, where the sensor is not that sensitive user sometimes must reposition the eye closer to EVF before the EVF active.

You should add the banding problem with 20mm Pany lens, that already notice by Olympus and will be solve by next firmware update.

6. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Poor location of the focus assist light (I have to take my hand off the lens for low light shots or else I block the beam).

The camera should give a warning instead of just a black screen when lens is not attached properly!

When Auto EVF Sensor is disabled, you loose the nice screen display with the information at the bottom...instead you get the ugly live view screen with information all over the image that would be on the monitor.

No automatic switching of the reviewed image if you pull away from the EVF to monitor (auto evf on).

7. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    I guess my issue is "I have NO issues". My OMD doesn't lock up, crash or have physical defects. Guess mine came after the factory adjustments:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  8. TDP

TDP Guest

I have 2 issues:

1. I keep going back to the store to buy more lenses
    2. My 5DII is going to therapy, it feels ignored at home these days

9. jrworthy

jrworthy Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 5, 2012
    Washington DC
    Two issue I have run into comes when using the Panny 20mm.

1) Banding at higher ISOs
    2) camera will not respond from sleep mode and I am forced to turn the camera off and remove/insert the battery and then turn the camera on again for the camera to operate properly.

10. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    With all due respect, the best way to hold a camera for the least amount of shake, is to cup your left hand and grip the camera from below. This allows you to pull your left elbow into your body to create brace.

Olympus put the AF assist light where they did, because there aren't many places to put it and nobody who knows how to hold a camera would block it.

11. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    Both points true. In my case I spent all my money up front on lenses, so I guess my "issue" is that I can only wish I had more lenses.

12. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    The only bug I've noticed is that I've changed the dial setting for Manual mode so that the right dial adjusts shutter, and the left aperture. For some reason the camera doesn't like this setting and keeps reversing them.

I got fed up last night and did a reset of all settings...I'll report back if it keeps on. Previously, the EVF high-framerate was greyed out for me and a reset fixed it.

13. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    I have had the failure to wake up twice with the 7-14 mounted

14. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    With all due respect to your all due respect, the way *I* hold a camera lens with my thumb at the bottom and my fingers on top works best for *ME*. Besides being more comfortable FOR ME (stress in the hand by the odd angle of your method would INDUCE hand shake).

Using my method I can handhold a 500mm lens down to 1/50th WITHOUT IS!!!

I've been photographing for almost 40 years, and there is more than one way to hold a camera "properly". Although I do have to smirk when someone with a pancake lens is trying to hold the lens, and you know they are getting their fingers in the shot.

On the E-M5 they could have put it on the EVF cover on top of the word "OLYMPUS"...that way as well it would be inline with the lens!

15. demiian

demiian Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 14, 2012
    Thanks for all your inputs. Yes, 20mm banding problem is certainly one of the main ones. I don't own that particular lens, so it skipped my mind.

hmmm... it seems like some of the customization options have issues, too. Maybe Olympus made too many things customizable on this camera. I mean, I love that I can use the camera exactly the way I want, but also as a programmer, I understand that the more options you give to the users, the more cases you'd need to consider when developing a software. :)

16. linhrom

linhrom New to Mu-43

Jun 5, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Hai Linh

You clearly indicate that this method works best for YOU and probably YOU only. So why would Olympus does any different to upset the rest of us?

I have to agree with the other poster. Thats they way the majority of us hold the camera i guess: all 5 fingers below the lens -> so that elbow against the body -> so it works similar to the way the tripod works. So the position of the AF assist is the best possible place i think for Olympus to do (its the same place with many of the Nikon that i use.

but what do i know, i only have 4 years experience as a photographer, not 40 years or so like you have. :smile::smile::smile:

17. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    My problem is trying to turn the camera off by pressing the fn2 button and only realising it when I attempt to turn it on again and find it is already on. But that is 'me', I love the camera and can't fault it.

18. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales

Please pass me the gun, I'm off out-back to soot me-self.

Enjoy the b***dy thing and get a life.....get out and take some pictures instead of putting the beautiful thing under a microscope and finding continual fault with it.

OK so it's got it's foilbles, what camera hasn't, coming from a guy who's on his second.........I love mine.

I deeply regret selling the first one, it cost an arm and a leg to replace, the frist grip was free.

So there. mumble-mumble-mumble.

BTW, the quality issues mentioned by the OP I don't have, either that or I need a stronger microscope.

19. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I have been using my E-M5 for 2 months and I don't have any issue with the camera. I have a silver version and the paint looks fine to me. Like the OP said, I actually like the on/off switch where it is located. Took a little while to get used to it coming from an E-P3, but once I get used to it, I find it perfectly located for my thumb.

The sensitve EVF sensor is annoying sometimes, as the neck strap gets in the way when taking pictures in portrait orientation, and the main function dial could be placed in a better position, but like Dave in Wales mentioned above, what camera doesn't have its foibles?

20. Selwyn.ali

Selwyn.ali New to Mu-43

Jul 17, 2012
    Hi, there is one issue that annoy me is the purple flare that appear When i shot a bright light or direct sun light, there would apear a purple cross flare to all lens and this problem did not happen when i use Epm1.

I have post this here

https://www.mu-43.com/f42/flare-only-happen-olympus-em-5-a-29679/

But this issue Annoy me but maybe not for other, it is about personal taste.