OM-D Kit Hadley Small or Pro?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by radamo, Mar 2, 2013.

1. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    I am considering getting a Billingham Hadley Small or Pro to be my main travel bag for my M43 kit. I currently have the following:

Panny 12-35 2.8
    Panny 20MM 1.7
    Panny 45-200
    Extra OM-D battery
    Extra 4 AA's
    Lens cloths
    Oly Accessory Flash
    Table Top Tripod

I tried out the Hadley Small and really liked it but it was fairly snug fully loaded. I tried the Pro and really like the handle and the extra room. Now the decision... stick with the Small which will take these items with not much room for other items, or get the Pro which has some extra room but is a few inches wider and a bit higher???

Both are really light bags and feel superb while carrying...

Which way have you other Billingham owners swung???
  2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've had the original since before the small was introduced. If I stuffed my entire kit micro 4/3 kit it would be very snug. I would recommend a Pro.
  3. MichaelBradyNet

MichaelBradyNet Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 17, 2013
    Definitely go with the larger bag, you can stash anything else you need in the extra space and keep your hands free. It's also more room for your next lens or flash.
  4. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    You can pack a Billingham Hadley Pro up to the top if you stack. If it's a social carry and there's a table available, exchanging lenses becomes easier and less fraught with the danger of drops; rather than attempting it while standing. If standing's the case over unfriendly ground, a mate standing by acting as third and fourth hand is helpful.
  5. jmaher

jmaher Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2012
    Sarasota, FL
    Why buy a large bag if you went m4/3 for size. I love my Hadley small.

6. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    I moved to m43 because I wanted small, so I have the small Hadley :)

My stuff: E-M5, O9-18, P20, O45, O40-150, table-top tripod and ball-head, lens pen, cloths, batteries, cards. Still room for a guide-book, tickets, wallet, phone or a tablet.

I have sometimes squeezed in my X100 as well.

But the handle on the Pro would be nice :)
  7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    For me the Hadley Pro was the bag that stopped my bag lust for shoulder bags. I use the extra room to throw in other things as I'm not a fan of carrying keys, wallets and phones in my pockets. Also when a soft bag is at maximum capacity it doesn't mould to the body as well.

p.s.... I had a little chuckle when I heard the Pro described as a large bag (Which I do now as well). You should see the 445 I have with the delta end pockets that I used to carry to jobs, stuffed to the seams. The Hadleys are all tiny. :)
  8. mcumeda

mcumeda Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    I think the pro is still pretty small. I would vote pro.
  9. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks everyone... I am going to stick with the Pro. It is still not large but big enough to carry what I need and not be stuffed. When I go light I will use my Tamrac Velocity 4 for now. Tomorrow is my first outing with the Hadley. Can't wait...
  10. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    • Like Like x 1
  11. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    I got the pro one first and loved it. I eventually got the small one too and loved it too. For everyday use, I found the pro one a bit big so I carry the small one. But if I was going for a longer shoot or vacation then probably will use the pro version.
  12. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    The photographer should also consider the handle of the Hadley Pro in making a choice. Would a handle be helpful or get in the way?

I like a handle on a bag. Its makes getting into and out of a vehicle easy. I find a handle makes short work when a shoulder starts to bother; it seems that I can hold heavier weight by hand than hanging off of a shoulder. Although many of us carry cross-body, so the bag weight gets distributed.
  13. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    I have a bag very similar in size as the Hadley Small. It's made by ONA called The Bowery. However I can't fit all of the stuff in your list at once. What I do instead is fitting the important stuff in it and the accessories in my day pack.

I can fit the body, with all of the lenses that you have listed just fine. I can also fit the extra batteries, lens cloths, accessory flash. The table top tripod, FL-600R flash would have to go into a different bag.

If you want to fit it all, the Hadley Pro may be better for you. Having a handle on the bag is nice.
  14. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    My experience exactly. The Pro can carry pretty much all of my gear (many lenses - way more than the OP), but it's bigger and, at all loaded, heavier than I generally want to carry. So the small bag is almost always my daily carry bag, with whatever subset of gear I decide to take out for the day, and the large is what I take on big trips along with the small to get everything to the destination. But I'm gonna be selling the Pro because I don't need or want anywhere near that nice or expensive a bag for the role it plays. I've got other cheaper bags that work as well for transport and organization. The small is my carry bag because I just don't use that much gear in a single days outing.

For the OP's limited gear list, I'd say the small for sure, but then gear has a tendency to multiply, so maybe the Pro to account for that.