1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OM-D, kids & lenses?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Omni, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Omni

Omni Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    I recently purchased an OM-D EM5 (body only because I had a Panny 20mm from before) and I'm loving it.

But I'm finding it a little slow keeping up with my constantly moving 2 year old. Looking for a little advice.

Was thinking about maybe either an Oly 45mm or a PL 25mm but I'm not sure which would be better or maybe there is another option that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!

2. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    The 45 is the fastest focusing of those you mention, and is great with kids. I've read that the new 75mm is faster in autofocus, but it is hard to imagine. The PL 25 is nearly as quick.

That said, no matter what lens you use you'll find the OM-D's tracking focus (and continuing autofocus) severely lacking- it is not a strength of the micro 4/3 system. However, S-AF is pretty awesome and totally useful getting those kid shots, especially with the fast AF lenses. The 20mm you have, while sharp as heck (I have one too & use it professionally all the time), is comparatively sleepy-slow as far as autofocus goes.

3. dgorman47

dgorman47 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2012
    Connecticut
    Dutch
    The 20mm tends to be slow to focus. The 45mm and 25mm are certainly much faster.

4. The combination of either the PL25 or O45 on the E-M5 is very fast when used in S-AF mode, particularly using the touchscreen for focus point selection and shutter release. The O45 will be the more difficult of the two to use simply because of the tighter angle of view which will make it harder to follow moving subjects. On the other hand the PL25 will require you to get closer if you want a tighter crop.

5. Omni

Omni Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    I'm coming from an old canon xti (1st year it was released) with a 50 1.4. I loved that camera (and the lens) and have taken it all over the world with zero regrets.

It was even a great camera for the 1st year or so of my sons life but now with him climbing up everything and jumping off everything and running as fast as possible - something has to give. I bent down to pick him up while I had the camera strap around my neck and the camera swung forward and smacked him (gently) in the face. He started crying and yelling, "no more black camera!"

So of course I had to listen to him and buy a silver body :)

S-AF you say? I'll try tht - I had it on C-AF TR thinking that might help.

Also what about Face Priority? Leave it on? Just face or face + eye? My old camera never had any of these fancy options and still trying to wrap my head around more than a few of them.

The 45mm equals to 90 right? Hmm..I've never shot with anything like that.

25pl would feel more like what I've been used to? The 50 prime.

Again - thanks for the responses. It's been an interesting experience joining the micro 4/3 revolution so far.

6. dgorman47

dgorman47 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2012
    Connecticut
    Dutch
    Although the 20mm does seems to speed up a bit when you close it down to 2-2.8 territory. I second the notion of using s-af. Use single af and shut your aperature down for a greater field of focus. I'm being photographing kids with the OMD lately and s-af as served me well.

7. The EF 50/1.4 on an XTi is not that far removed from the O45 on a Micro 4/3 camera. 80mm vs 90mm.

8. Omni

Omni Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Thanks!

9. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I think both PL25 and the 45/1.8 focuses sufficiently quick enough in S-AF mode that they allow me to capture a lot more shots of my kid successfully than the 20/1.7. I haven't gone back to my 20/1.7 since I have gotten my PL25. Which one works better for you depends on which FL you prefer using...