OM-D... just used the flash for the first time... WTF?!

majordude

Mu-43 Regular
Okay, I've owned my OM-D for 15 months or so but today I actually used the flash for the first time.

ALL of the photos are UNDER exposed!

WTF? It's like the sensor doesn't speak to the flash unit. Or something. VERY disappointed to the point I'm wondering what is wrong with Olympus and my camera.

kevinparis

Cantankerous Scotsman
highly unlikely anything wrong with camera or flash

just take a deep breath and explain

1) which flash - the included little thing or something else

2) are you sure it was flashing

3) what mode were you in - P, A, S or M ?

Olympus flash system is pretty damned good so either you have made some wrong setting or maybe your clip on flash has an issue

K

Growltiger

Mu-43 All-Pro
Do this simple test.
1. Set the camera to P.
2. Pull up the little flash to turn it on. If you don't lift it up it won't flash.
3. Aim the camera at yourself and take a selfie photo. (This will ensure that you see the flash go off, and that your head is near the camera so the exposure should be good even with the little flash.)

Did that work?

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Do this simple test.
1. Set the camera to P.
2. Pull up the little flash to turn it on. If you don't lift it up it won't flash.
3. Aim the camera at yourself and take a selfie photo. (This will ensure that you see the flash go off, and that your head is near the camera so the exposure should be good even with the little flash.)

Did that work?
Probably did & now he can't see to type. :biggrin:

Sammyboy

m43 Pro
Do this simple test.
1. Set the camera to P.

Did that work?
.... must go into the SCP and set the flash to TTL, not as a commander ......

imahawki

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm wondering if it wasn't in the down position and not firing but we may never know.

WT21

Super Moderator
Not sure if the OP will be back, but another common issue I see with any basic camera users is using built-in flash from far, far away, and not understanding why their pics without flash, look better than pics with flash.

Examples are always the best, to demonstrate the issue.

klee

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Kevin
olympus TTL is known to underexpose by 0.7 EV or so. TTL Metering seems to always be full scene evaluative, overriding the metering choice you've selected. That means if there's a bright white object in the scene, many times it will meter to that object leaving everything else quite dark.

if you search the forum, you'll find a lot of discussions about this, and the final concensus is to fix your Flash Exposure Comp permanently to +0.7EV or +1.0EV.

using a reflective card to bounce the flash up also helps:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

no flash:

with flash + bounce card:

majordude

Mu-43 Regular
Okay, I don't know why but this is what I discovered...

It looks like it overexposes on full (maybe the business card trick post above is the solution)... bed, 3-6' away. I didn't download the images to my computer to verify. It just looked too bright on the back screen.

BUT, my original reaction was to photos taken in the iAUTO mode. They are uber underexposed.

Growltiger

Mu-43 All-Pro
Okay, I don't know why but this is what I discovered...

It looks like it overexposes on full (maybe the business card trick post above is the solution)... bed, 3-6' away. I didn't download the images to my computer to verify. It just looked too bright on the back screen.

BUT, my original reaction was to photos taken in the iAUTO mode. They are uber underexposed.
But are you sure it actually flashed when you took those photos. It is easy to nudge the top down slightly.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom