OM-D jpeg color issues

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by m43dude, Nov 14, 2012.

1. m43dude

m43dude New to Mu-43

Oct 3, 2012
    When shooting jpeg i get this red/brown tint in the colors. I like warm colors, but not with visible red/brown bias. Keep Warm is Off, Picture Mode is set to Muted, Amber is set to -2, but it doesn't help much. Is there anything else I can do? Custom white balance?

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Got examples to share? What kinds of scenes? What kinds of lighting? Custom WB (or just shooting RAW) is probably your best bet.

3. m43dude

m43dude New to Mu-43

Oct 3, 2012
    I tried RAW and it worked out better, the reddish tint is gone.

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I see you have Amber -2 but cannot imagine why.
    ALL of my Olympus cameras from the old e-600 onwards absolutely require Green +1 (at least) to get rid of the red-brown bias in woodland scenes.
    Most have no Amber bias set at all.

So ... Amber+0, Green+1 or +2 should do it.

(Picture mode might not have a big effect whatever you choose. I like Vivid.)

5. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I'm having the same problem with EPL5 too, and sometimes green is rendered as blue, terrible.

But I found the "keep warm" has to be always on.

just try to correct the raw in LR.

6. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Hmmmm, I haven't really tested the JPEGs from mine but I find Auto WB in raw is usually spot on, or only requires a modest and straightforward correction. Olympus JPEGs used to be the best in the industry, but maybe that's changed now we have the Sony sensor and it might be the price we have to pay for improvements in other areas. Think I'll stick to raw. :smile:

7. Naftade

Naftade Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Hi Everyone,

I have exactly the same problem. When shooting jpegs in a natural outdoor-environment I keep getting these strange reddish tones.

Mr. Scillorio posted a quite comprehensive and useful tutorial how to tweak your jpegs here:

Designing Custom Jpeg Recipes | Small Camera BIG Picture

I didn't copy all his settings (set my sharpness to -1 only), but with a little trial and error I came to quite exceptable results. However, as you just said, these jpegs are still quite far away from industry leadership. I guess I will stick to raw. Too bad. I got the OM-D quite precisely for the reason that I didn't want to fumble around that much anymore. Sadly, that's does not seem possible.

8. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Welcome to the forum Naftade.
    The link in your first-ever post is to a web-page of a user who has apparently never owned previous generations of Olympus 4/3rds-sensored cameras : he is therefore unaware of where Olympus' excellent Jpeg reputation came from.
    Quite a good blog thing, though.

9. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Ulfric, I tried you Amber +0 and Green +1 advice today and I found it worked really well to get the green vegetation to show up nicely. But it also made the reds and browns in the image unnaturally orangish in my opinion. However, when I adjusted the color temperature in the cooler direction in post processing, the result was excellent; i.e. the greens were preserved while the red-brown bias was eliminated as show below:
    tembb.

10. m43dude

m43dude New to Mu-43

Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks I will try that too. The reason I set amber to -2 was that the manual (p 51) said that was the thing to do if one wanted less red images.
    From the manual:
    It's interesting you mention woodlands because that's exactly the problem I was having, with tree hunks not being brown/grey but instad brown/grey/red.

11. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I first noticed it when comparing lots of photos of the same woodland walk taken with an e-410, e-600, Lumix G1 and Fuji bridge camera.
    With enough pictures you can see trends in the colours and that led me to want to cure the red/brown of our e-600 : in my opinion exactly the same colour balance as E-30, e-620, e-P1, e-P2 and e-pL1.
    I since noticed the same issue cropping up in lots of threads on other forums, but many users don't see it until they compare their same scenes taken with a different camera.
    I really love the colours now (with AWB Green+1) but admit for more realism the amber should be turned down. That's for someone else though. :smile:

12. Naftade

Naftade Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Unfortunately I see the tint quite often, and not only in wood-land-scenes. Yesterday we had a foggy day here, all colors looked muted and washed out - kind of grayish. Only my brave OM-D still saw a lot of red. I was absolutely not happy with the jpeg output. But happily, a solution has been found.

Still, I think I will not risk, shooting in jpeg-only mode on this camera. No matter how we tweak our jpegs, it's always a good thing to have a raw-file as fall back position.

By the way. What gradation mode are you using? I tried "Auto" every once in a while and find it not too bad. Especially in very contrasty scenes, when this setting lifts the shadows and mutes the highlights, thus capturing nearly all the available information.

13. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I'm convinced Auto-gradation is a good thing ... but only once sensor noise technology advanced to e-M5 levels.
    All previous cameras show a lot of shadow noise if gradation is allowed to be on, or Auto instead of Normal=off.

14. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I'm confused. I thought great OOC jpegs was the raison d'etre of the OM-D, and Olympus in general.

15. Naftade

Naftade Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Well, maybe I am too strict. But if was only for the jpegs, I personally would not suggest the om-d wholeheartedly.
    However, I still love the camera for a number of reasons. It's so small, so chic, so fast, so well built, someasy to nhandle etc.
    I don't regret the purchase one bit. And maybe (i still have to test this) with the right settings, the jpegs do rule.

16. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Yes the OCC OM-D/Oly jpegs have a rich character (what some call "pop" or "wow factor") but the colors tend to be overly warm. Fortunately simple freeware programs can fix that without ruining their rich character.

GH2 OCC jpegs have a slightly dark, cool and bland character - kinda depressing IMHO - although good for capturing the mood of a coastal fishing village on an overcast day.

17. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I primarily shoot raw, so jpeg output isn't hugely important to me. I agree GH2 jpegs are lacking, typically too magenta. And I've always felt Oly jpegs were overly saturated. But this is the first thread I've seen with multiple people complaining about color casts and plainly incorrect colors on the OM-D.

I'm just surprised after reading hundreds, if not thousands, of posts extolling the virtues of Oly jpegs.

18. Naftade

Naftade Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    I was very surprises too. Only a year ago I had an Epl2 in my hands to see wether it or Sonys Nex suits me beeter. I opted for the Nex even though I found the epl's jpegs especially pleasing. The om-d I got only a month ago. The red cast issue I had right from the beginning. First I thought I made a mistake with WB. Meanwhile I came to the conclusion that me and Om-D jpegs might not become very good friends. Not only because of the colors but also because the tonal range appears a little limited to me.
    But anyway: first I'll have to try the new tweaked settings in practice and second: It's not a big deal to me, as I shoot raw all the time. Ooc jpegs in nice quality would be nice because it would spare me a little work (I keep only 'good' raw files and convert the rest).

19. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Naftade I think you should check your colour output next to the exact same settings from another e-M5, maybe in the shop.
    Cameras can have variation between them, but I've only seen this seriously with Panasonics, not Olympus.
    There is still a faint chance you got a 'redder' one than everyone else...

20. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    This is a very interesting discussion. I was always thrilled by the quality of the JPGs from my E-PL1 and almost never shot RAW with it because the JPGs were so good. When I got my EM5, I was disappointed because they lacked "pop." Just the other day, I turned on the keep warm colors setting and that instantly solved my problem.

So it would seem that some EM5s have a blue bias and some a red one. Interesting...