OM-D issues with Panasonic lenses?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by xdayv, Mar 20, 2013.

1. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    I stumbled upon over at Dpreview's ISO comparison chart while checking on the GH3, and was really impressed with how OM-D faired against the GH3, based on what I saw, at 6400, the OM-D really holds up well better than the GH3. It led me to consider OM-D a second-third hard look. Since I haven't really followed the OM-D threads, would like to know what are your experiences and issues (if any) when using with Panasonic lenses (the 7-14 and the likes), TIA.
  2. greerd

greerd Mu-43 Regular

Hi Dave, It's been suggested that the GH3 and EM5 share the same sensor since they preform similarly. Any differences DPR shows could be attributed to ISO equivalence and/or sample variation. Check out DXOmark for sensor comparison. The 7-14 is prone to purple flaring on the EM5, while it also flares on Panasonic camera's is not purple and easier to deal with. Any bright light source near the edge of the lens can cause it. Its been discussed to at great length on DPR, just do a search in the Micro Four Thirds Talk. (Help! Anyone with an E-M5, 7-14, and yellow filters?: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review) I think that is the main issue with Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies, other than making sure IBIS and IOS are not used at the same time. Cheers, Doug
    • Like Like x 1
  3. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    The only Panasonic lens I have is the P20mm, and that's a peach on the E-M5 :2thumbs:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mallmand

mallmand New to Mu-43

Sep 20, 2012
    Loving my om-d with the 12-35, 35-100, issues yet. Incredibly sharp, clear, colorful images that I am happy with. No lens chatter, focus issues or flare.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    My experiences with the 12-35, the 20 and the 45-200 was all good.

I think that the m4/3 cams are built to interoperate with each other's lenses. So far my experiences bear that out.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    As long as I have the CA correction enabled in my Lightroom profile, they're all essentially problem-free on the E-M5 with the exception of the 7-14mm (and that one in certain circumstances only).
    • Like Like x 1
  7. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    I'm only aware of two Panasonic-Olympus problems. Panasonic 7-14mm shows that purple flare on E-M5 sensor, banding at high ISOs when inappropriate exposures are used with the Panasonic 20mm.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    "innapropriate exposures"?? Well, there goes my new career as a boudoir photographer. :smile:

Seriously though, he's spot on. I have a few Panny lenses and have no issues. And the primes are stabilised on the EM5. But I don't think the EM5 is better than the GH3 at high ISO either, from the various things I've read.

• Like Like x 1
  9. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    It's a close call at high ISO but the E-M5 seems to hold more details - I concur that they are very similar at these levels.

My 7-14 is also prone to flaring on a G3 and GX1, so I think it's just a bit worse on the E-M5. Thanks for link Doug.
  10. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    This. Well, the 20 anyway. I get random banding at 3200 and up. I rarely reach for the lens anymore though because I have a PL25, too. That one chatters sometimes, but not a big deal.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. NRV

NRV Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    New York
    Only two issues i've had (more accurate to call them annoyances than actual problems):
    - P20 autofocus was ssslllooowww
    - PL25 had just one instance of the infamous "rattlesnake" noise. Went away after power cycling once.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I use the Panasonic:

7-14 - CA when pointed directly into a light source, the amount of CA seems to be lens/camera specific. My copy flares but it is relatively controllable, but others seem to have copies which are quite annoying.

14-42 - No problems
    35-100 - No problems, like the 7-14 a stellar lens
    45-200 - No problems
    100-300 - No problems

14mm - No problems
    20mm - No problems
    25mm - No problems

Haven't played with the GH3, but in my opinion the OM-D is a little jewel.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I have the P25 and love it. I'd had intermittent chattering when I pan across areas of different brightness; doesn't bother me, and I'm easily annoyed.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. NRV

NRV Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    New York
    Yeah I'm glad the rattling seemed to be a one-off but even if it had persisted, the awesomeness of that lens far outweighs it.

As for the GH3, eh... I don't know. Specs wise, looks nice. But it's too similar in size to a DSLR. (IMO)
  15. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Its possible that they are so close that it comes down to the slight variations present in each specific camera body. Ming Thein had the exact opposite experience (although to my eye the OMD had better handling of colors at high ISO, but was a bit behind in detail)

Review: The Panasonic Lumix GH3
    • Like Like x 1