OM-D IS (IBIS) Question...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jnewell, Jun 26, 2012.

1. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    ...simple question, and just for clarity, this is not a complaint at all... :smile:

The question is: with menu set to turn IS off, the IS motor sounds as if it is still running. This seems to be contrary to what I think I've read elsewhere, so I wanted to ask clearly whether the motor should be off (completely silent) when IS is set to 'off.'

I know I said this above, but this is not a problem, just a matter of pure and idle curiosity. :D I can barely hear the thing with the camera at eye level; nobody else is ever going to hear it. :cool:

2. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    I think the sensor is permanently "floating" by magnets; regardless if it is on or off.

If you look at the sensor then shut camera off, the sensor stops floating and quickly sticks to one of the sides/magnets and isn't centered nor floating anymore...so I assume it's always floating in space :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    That's correct. Turning IBIS off means the sensor no longer moves to compensate for motion, but the system is still necessary to hold it still. There really is no "off" any more.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for the great replies. I remember seeing a picture of the sensor sitting 'down' in the body in one of the review now, with the comment that it was raised into position when the camera was turned on! Thank you.

5. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Check out the sensor going through its motions...
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gRB4S7muew]Olympus OM-D E-M5 Five-Axis Sensor-Shift Image Stabilization Hands-On - YouTube[/ame]

As you can see how it moves, if there was no power it will fall in the direction of gravity. Note if you move the camera around with the power off, you can hear the sensor moving.

6. fooddude

fooddude Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2012
    U guys know if it's actually magnets maybe dampened, or actual mechanical motors, or actual mechanical gyros?

7. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Looks like voice coil motors...like the type that moves the heads of a hard drive to specific parts of the platter.

8. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Cool, thanks! :cool: