1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OM-D intervention

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mnhoj, Apr 28, 2012.

1. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Hi my name is John and I'm a gear-a-holic.

I have a beautiful black E-P3 and a workhorse GH2 and yet I'm drawn inexplicably to the new.
    I've already done the math. The current cost outweighs the benefits for me.
    I don't really like the looks but I'm sure it'll grow on me. It always does.
    I don't need the new IBIS and better high ISO. 9 frames per second or weathersealing? Nope.

And yet, two months from now, I'll justify it somehow and have one in my bag.

I have a problem. Please help. :smile:

• Like Like x 9
  2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Just keep repeating..."I am not a crow...I am NOT mesmerized by shiny things".

• Like Like x 2
  3. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

ComeON!

The EM5 is a giant leap forward. Just having two actually usable control wheels is worth the upgrade. Then for me the grip is a big big plus. As is the internal viewfinder. I am so tired of futzing with my VF2. I'm surprised I have not lost it yet.

Yeah, maybe we ALL don't need ALL of the improvements but taken as a whole this is twice the camera the EP3 is. :drinks:

• Like Like x 2
  4. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Free at Last -- NOT ! -- a Collectors Lament

I've avidly been reading the many forum threads (including this one) posted here by folks who own (and seem to collect) camera gear of varied persuasions and vintages.

Once upon a time I, too was a collector. Then one day I got a new and better job that required moving to a city almost 3,000 miles away. It was that move (and Allied Van Lines) that irrevocably cured my addiction to camera collecting. Or so I thought.

Almost overnight my cherished collection of Minolta SLR bodies vanished without a trace.

Gone my three SRT-101s. Gone my rare and irreplaceable SRT-SC (sold only by Sears and only for a short time). Gone forever the scuffed and battered SRT-100, the pristine SRT-201, even the much scorned and little used or appreciated SRT-102 which never sported a body-cap and consequently spent its entire life in my collection inside a Tupperware plastic box with sealed lid (but I did "burp" it faithfully at least once each month).

Even my trusty uber-clandestine spy camera, the pocket-size James-Bond-esque Minolta 16-MG vanished without a trace. (It was in the same box as the others.)

I shed buckets of tears over the disappearance of my then only-two-months-old Leica R4 prototype, the Minolta XD-11 and the legendary vintage SR-2 that I found in a pawn shop outside Ft. Leonard Wood, Missouri in 1966.

All that history washed from my life in less than a heartbeat. Gone. All... (sob)... Gone!

Only gear left was the Nikon stuff (all that was in another box that did make it). And Nikon was still around making cameras and lenses when all this occurred. And so it came to pass that I thought my collection affliction was cured. I became a Nikon shooter.

But I was wrong. Because this fiscally exhausting malady seems to have returned after almost 35 years. Now I find myself "collecting" 4/3 and m-4/3 bodies and juggling weight-to-efficiency ratios like which is easiest to hold and which is more likely to accompany me when I leave the house.

And bags, too. How small is too small? How small is too big? How small can it go?

It never ends and I, too, wish someone could help.

OM-D? G2? E-PM1? E-PL2? E-M5? GH-xyz01234567?

Waaaaaaaa!!!!! GIMME A BREAK!

It's really depressing. And complicated.

Life was so much simpler in the olden days of Kodak Brownies and Polaroid SX-70s.

And now even Kodak is... (gasp)... gone!

What will be next? :eek:

• Like Like x 5
  5. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I'm going to try that but I don't think it's going to work. :smile:

My rabbit hole goes pretty deep.

I've tried applying the 12 step program but my sponsor disowned me.
    I started smoking again. < Dumb. I quit smoking but am back where I started with gear.
    I even cut my right index finger off but it grew back.:biggrin:

6. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I was hoping no one was going to mention that grip. That's the one thing that I can't resist. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Plan to buy two. Beat yourself up over it. Really FEEL that guilt. Then don't - just buy one. It'll feel like a huge and enormous moral victory! I employ this strategy often.

-Ray

• Like Like x 4
  8. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    I hate to admit, but I had a little too much to drink last night and I think my grip touched me in my no no place.

I'm not mad...she was still here this morning. Now only if I could get her to make me some eggs :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    That is one I haven't tried. :thumbup:

10. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Well written Bob.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    I used to have a Canon 50D with four lenses, I hated the weight and bulk, so I switched to M4/3 with a GF1 and 20mm. Two years later I have a GF1, a GH2 an EM-5 and nine lenses; all of which is bulkier and almost as heavy as the Canon kit:frown: I need help too!

• Like Like x 1
  12. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    She's pretty, did the no-no thing, and you want eggs?

You're the man Lawrence!

13. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Larry... what color is her eye-shadow? Black or silver?

:biggrin:

14. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    John,

The E-M5 is a real game changer. The usable low light, 5 axis IBIS and IS EVF really have solidified what Olympus was trying to achieve with the four-thirds format.

• Like Like x 1
  15. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    HE he...She will be wearing black but with a VERY sexy Silver outfit. Is it Tuesday yet!!!???

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  17. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    WTH? The game changed? Why wasn't I told about this? And here I am with the old set of rules...I just finished memorizing them. DANG IT!!!

• Like Like x 1
  18. toobacat

toobacat Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    You didn't mention a Kodak Instamatic. I still have mine. :smile:

19. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    We are beyond help.

That could be a description of any one of us, it sure is of me.

I've had one now for 4 days, and no regrets.

The black one is a thing of beauty that happens to take snaps.

Can't say as the silver one does much for me.

• Like Like x 1
  20. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    After playing with an E-M5 I'm extremely pleased in the overall package. Nice resolution LCD compared to the GH2. Button layout is very simple and logical.

I have played with a GH2 and I will say thats a killer M43 system that I would not hesitate in buying aswell. I have alot of Canon Dslr gear but I just wanted a cool looking small body. After analyzing the the Raw files in LR4.1 I'd easily compare the IQ to a 60d/7D. The Oly files seems to be crisper at high ISO and noise reduction doesn't make human subjects looking like plastic cupie dolls like the 7D characteristics. I'd certainly take my Oly over my previous Canon 1dmk (lower res and files fell apart at iso 1250). I even prefer this oly compared to my previous 50D (w/ 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85L etc)

My workhorse are my canon full frames but the OMD has been an extremely pleasant suprise.

• Like Like x 1