1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-d incompatible with Avid studio?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ralfmouth, Dec 18, 2012.

1. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    The Avid Studio version i have does not appear to play OM-d movies (h.264). Asking if anybody with Avid has found a work-around for this because Olympus Viewer is way to basic.

Ah that goes for Windows media player also.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If your Media Player can't play it then you probably just need some better codecs on your computer. Try downloading ffdshow and the K-lite Codec pack (free downloads, just google it) and see what happens.

3. (G)

(G) Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2012
    Minneapolis
    I routinely edit HD 1920x1080i movies made on my OM-D using Adobe's Premiere Elements 11 (which is pretty basic compared to the professional editors out there) with no problems. I agree with Ned: better or newer codecs should do it.

4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I had this problem with Avid/Pinnacle Studio 15. The Avid moderator on their forum had no silver bullets to fix it.

I advise being careful with downloading codecs. Too many sites are loaded with hidden adware, search engine hijacks, or hinder existing programs because they are general rather than specific fixes. The top hits on Google are dominated by sites that pay to offer you junk that doesn't work or may be suspect. I had to reload my XP PC because of bad codecs.

Since my Win7 system is imaged and easily reloaded, I tried the codecs offered by "shark007", which allowed Windows preview to play the videos, but did not help the Avid editor. I didn't keep the codec.

My workaround was to use Sony Movie Studio, which can edit MOV files or easily convert them to a format readable by Avid. I installed Apple Quick Time to preview EM5 MOV files. Finally, I fall back and record in motion JPG most of the time, as I still find Avid Studio easier to use.

5. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    I was afraid of that thanks. Buying an editor for every camera isn't cool. I used Avid with Canon. Now it's Micro 4/3 where i probably will stay...but you never know. Can you use studio with the GH3.
    (which version of sony studio by the way?)

6. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    You can download Handbrake (free) and convert the MOV file to MP4. The default settings work well. Be careful on the compression settings, as they are not exactly what they seem (e.g., 0 compression will output a file much larger than your original with no better quality). The help file on the settings can explain this to you. Studio, Adobe and others in the Windows world will work with the MP4.

7. ralfmouth

ralfmouth Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Yesssir this works, thanks. What a great program. I'm tempted to try the lossless setting you mentioned in Handbrake, then do editing and final output in Avid. Hoping to avoid a compression step here!