1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D in stock at Amazon on May 16

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rstrader, May 11, 2012.

1. rstrader

rstrader Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I just checked the Amazon web site and they say they will have black bodies available on May 16. I ordered one as I have prime shipping and next day is only $3.99. Now it's a race to see who can actually sell me a camera. Amazon? Olympus? Adorama? Who will win?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    have you tried checking your local camera stores? I found a few the other day locally.

3. rstrader

rstrader Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    Indeed I have. I'm in Colorado and Mike's Camera is going to call me if they have one available. I just like to look at the email from Olympus that says "Your OM-D EM-5 is coming in April". mmm hmmm....:rofl:

4. rstrader

rstrader Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    Believe or not Amazon has shipped out my OM-D from their Nevada warehouse and I'll have it on Monday. Amazon wins this one! I really wasn't expecting them to come through. I now have to cancel per-orders with Olympus and Adorama.

They actually emailed me three times, first time to tell me that it will be here on Thursday, then to let me know it would be earlier, probably Tuesday and lastly to let me know that it had been shipped and would be here Monday. Me thinks that they've had so much bad press from this camera intoduction that they went a little overboard on their notifications to me. :biggrin:

5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    damn, congrats. I contemplated ordering it, but all this waiting has pushed me to the kit. Though, I'm holding on to my silver body pre-order just in case my ********** order ends up being the black kit.

But damn, maybe I should have ordered this morning when I saw it. It's out of stock now again, heh

6. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    Thanks for the thread. I ordered one and I got an update just now that it will come in on the 21st. I am quite glad I placed this order. I am thinking that body only will suit me better, as I just read some reviews regarding the 12-50mm lens and feel as if I would be disappointed by it. I just hope my grip and flash come in soon now.

7. Jazztrumpet5

Jazztrumpet5 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    Kansas City
    What reviews?

8. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
  9. DizzyV6P

DizzyV6P Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Maryland
    That's about the only review that says it has mediocre quality. Check out the sample ones taken by many of the members here. They seem to be quite sharp to me for the most part. If compared to primes, then yes its slower. Otherwise, it compares favorably to many of the other native m4/3 zooms. If you are waiting for the Panny zooms being released later this year, be prepared to pay close to $1000 for them. Frankly, at $300 w/ kit, its a decent deal.

10. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    That's what I was thinking and I realize what the panny zooms will cost but I want the camera now and it seems I can get the body only now or wait who knows how long to get what might be a lens I don't use. I usually hate using slow std zooms. I like them during a sunny day but get annoyed really quickly once it gets dark.

I was looking really forward to this lens last year but if it wasn't soo slow I would be all up on it. It is amazingly feature rich except the one we all want most.

11. stac

stac Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 2, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Congratulations. So you just ordered on Amazon and will get it on Monday already? Wow. I pre-ordered mine in February and finally getting it on Tuesday. I thought you just beat me by one day but not.
    By the way the black body is back to temporarily out of stock at Amazon already.

12. DizzyV6P

DizzyV6P Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Maryland
    I used to own a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 for my canon 40d. Not bad for $500 new. Too bad prices for m43's are so high for an equivalent.
    A sigma 17-50 f2.8 VC runs about $650 new and the canon 17-55 f2.8 IS runs $1000 new. So those panny prices are about average.

13. Lordfshack

Lordfshack Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 18, 2012
    I live in the Springs and called Mikes camera a few weeks ago to give them my name and that I was only interested in the Silver. They called me Thursday night to tell me they had one silver one come in... So I'm the proud owner! I preordered from Amazon on Feb 8th and apparently the silver is backed up for months cause its so popular!

14. Jazztrumpet5

Jazztrumpet5 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2012
    Kansas City
    Back ordered for months especially because it doesn't seem like they've even filled the earliest preorders yet. I know I had to be one of the earliest and still nothing.

15. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    I hope to get my may 11th black body order in a few days. I had to order an mmf-3 to get the rebate because amazon no longer has the Fl-300r in stock anyone interested in trading me for it or plus cash for an fl600r?

16. rstrader

rstrader Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I've come to the conclusion that getting an OM-D is just pure luck. I saw the black body in stock at Amazon and had it the next business day, and... it even works. My pre-orders were not successful with either Olympus or Adorama and understand that the pre-orders were for black bodies only, go figure. I recommend using the links on the top right part of this page and checking every time you visit this site. It worked for me.

In addition I emailed Adorama on Sunday and they canceled the order within 10 minutes. That's pretty good customer service.

17. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    Colorado
    Ugh. Amazon just made me confirm that I still want my order, otherwise they would delete it. Unbelievable. I check the status of my order and their OM-D stock status AT LEAST daily.

It's like they can't read my mind or something.

18. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I was super tempted by the Amazon availability, but I have close to a hundred bucks discount by ordering from J&R who have seen exactly zero units so far. Keep reminding myself that the money is more valuable than the time, but dang...

19. stac

stac Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 2, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    I got the black body today from Amazon! (order placed in Feb)
    UPS left the package at the front door. And my wife took it. Oh boy I hadn't told her what I ordered.

Anyway, black E-M5 is BEAUTIFUL.

20. MENINBLK

MENINBLK Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2012
    Westchester County, New York, USA
    Peter Romano
    There's something about getting an OLYMPUS camera from OLYMPUS. :biggrin: