1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OM-D in Canada???

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ryanl, Jun 6, 2012.

1. ryanl

ryanl Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 2, 2012
    All the major retailers are saying "pre order" still on their websites. I've heard rumors of London Drugs having some scattered throughout Western Canada. Anyone got theirs yet? I ordered May 26 - Black w/ 12-50 - But nothing so far. Wondering if anyone else has received theirs, and when/where they ordered?

2. DIS Ottawa

DIS Ottawa Guest

I've had mine since May 16th. I don't recall exactly when I ordered but it was probably early to mid-March. I got it from Henry's.

3. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Both Henry's & Vistek told me they were expecting a shipment at the beginning of June, but haven't heard anything since. :(

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    My local camera stores in Alberta have them in stock. :) I was just playing around with one off the shelf today at McBains. Ended up leaving with a set of CR-V3 batteries off the clearance rack at 75% off. w00t! =D I'm charging one up then I'll see which flash units of mine they'll work in. I know the FL-36R has trouble with rechargeables, but I think the FL-50Rs can take them. I know, I'm off-topic. :)

5. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    I got mine end of April in Vancouver kerisdale camera. I preordered few days after announcement so I was first on their list for a silver body.

6. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Had mine since late April. Actually Pre ordered at Henry's but found it at Aden Camera instead.

7. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I saw vistek had stock, silver bodies...i had one in the cart. Fortunately it was gone the next day so I saved a thousand bucks and some mental torture. London Drugs had a few it seems, but dont expect new stock any time soon (Vancouver).

8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Saneal camera, just walked in and they had both black & silver. Unfortunately the first one (silver)locked up and wouldn't turn on again no matter what I did. Left it at the shop, took a month but they brought in another one, and Olympus gave me a free grip for the inconvenience.

9. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    picked up my OMD in Vancouver at London drugs. Prepaid to get it from the warehouse to the kerrisdale store. I lucked out.

10. aikidoka

aikidoka Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2011
    Montreal
    Blessing in disguise!

11. ryanl

ryanl Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 2, 2012
    a free grip? wow. we shuold all be so lucky. glad it worked out for you. for the rest of us, the wait continues. i didn't know i'd tweak this bad at not having a camera.

12. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Yeah, it was something I never expected. I think it played out that way because I have been a real supporter of m4/3, and have made all major purchases( E-PL1, E-P2, E-P3, OMD, 12, 25, 45) from the same brick and mortar shop. My salesman went to bat for me with the oly rep, I never asked for any kind of reparation it was a surprise to me. When I got the call that they ad a replacement for me, I actually said I was gonna stick with my E-P3, but was pressed into coming to see it. What I didn't know was that they tried to contact me the week before whilst I was in the hospital, due to surgery, and had spoke with my family and they had prepaid for my OMD. so when I showed up, out came te OMD and I was informed that it had been paid for, and that for the inconvenience Olympus was offering either a free 12-50 or the grip. I took the grip, as the 12-50 really doesn't excite me, and is redundant as I already have a 14-150. I think it also had to do with that my store doesn't sell a lot of m4/3 gear, as it hasn't caught on vs the canikon crowd who is the majority of their business. Oh and one of the other major retailers in town dropped Olympus awhile back, so I think the rep is looking or support and an increase in sales. Whatever the reason, I'm uber impressed with the service and the camera. One thing or sure, I'm an oly fanboy now!

13. ryanl

ryanl Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 2, 2012
    that's a great story. now i'm REALLY glad it worked out. Your rep gained some serious loyalty there, and I commend him for doing that. Good good move.

I'd been watching the reviews on the camera once it was released. I was a diehard Canon guy - 60D, grip, 4 lenses... I was invested. But the size and bulk vs. image quality comparison to the new OM-D was so narrow that I had to jump. I've got two black labs, and we often head down to oregon. The bulk of a DSLR wasn't working for me.

sold all my gear within three days. put all the cash down on the OM-D on the 26th. and have been waiting since. Patiently. Sort of. Okay so not that patiently... but i'm trying.

I still have yet to even touch an OM-D. I bought it sight unseen. so i'm hoping it lives up to the hype. I'm pretty sure it will.

14. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I'm a newbie, not a convert. My last camera was a Pentax super auto 110 w/24/50/70. I had a canon P&S but never really enjoyed it, and only started back to photography a year and a half ago with an E-PL1. So after a 25 year hiatus, I'm back to shooting. I'm sure you'll enjoy the OMD once it arrives. Who did you order from?

15. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I got a black body-only when I happened to walk into Henry's Toronto May 3rd. They had one sitting in the counter so I grabbed it (as well as MMF3 and grip.

What I really wanted though was a silver one and lens; saw one on Kijiji, which I got yesterday.

16. ryanl

ryanl Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 2, 2012
    i grabbed it from "lens and shutter" in langley, bc. they're a good shop to be honest. i've bought some of my old canon gear there.

i think if i pushed it, i could grab it somewhere else sooner. but i'm okay with the wait... if it means that my money goes to a local shop. all i am really interested in is getting it before a road trip i'm going on at the end of june. in the meantime i'll read every review i can, keep my eyes open for user tricks, etc.

i bought some good filters, the hood for the 12-50, a remote, and a new bag while i was at it.

i'm really excited... every day is a day closer!!!

17. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Gah...you have two...I only want one. :sad010:

18. jumbotron

jumbotron Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    Looks like more stock arrived in the GVRD today - I got a call from 3 stores to tell me that they had stock available. The battery for the my silver EM5 is on the charger and I'm stoked. The camera is way smaller than I thought it would be - feels solid, sturdy but light compared to the EP3. Got my Hadley bag packed for shooting tomorrow - can't wait

19. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I was at Henry's Toronto this afternoon and I saw a body only in the cabinet, don't know if it was black or silver.

20. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    I'm in Toronto and was at Henry's Scarborough yesterday and they had 2 kits in stock. Aden Camera at Pacific Mall had around 4 kits in stock. Haven't seen body only though.