1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D IBIS very noisey when zoomed.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by uci2ci, Jul 1, 2012.

1. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Hi guys,

I just want to see if this is normal....does your EM-5's IBIS make pretty audible a chirping/ screeching (you know...the magnets working :cool: ) noise when recording video using a zoom lens (45 and above). You can also hear it when "Half Way Rls with IS" is enable and you half-press

I was recording a video in a silent room using a 45-175 zoom lens, and the sound is audible at 45 and very apparent at 175. Anyone else notice this?

I understand the mechanics of this, but i just want to know if its suppose to be loud enough to be picked up by the mic

2. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Are you sure it's your IBIS...? All I know IBIS only sounding the hum noise and it only heard if you take photo not while taking video...a chirping / screeching probably come from your lens because the aperture open and close and also the lens motor try to AF. There's known noise problem with several Panasonic lens in Olympus camera.

3. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure its not the aperture blades or focusing.

I can hear it at the long end of my 12-50 lens too, and its dependent on your hand shaking.

If you enable Half Way Rls with IS, and try to steady hold the camera at a long focal length, you can hear it better than on when shooting video