1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OM-D IBIS Unidentified Problem

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dbrantley13, Oct 22, 2012.

1. dbrantley13

dbrantley13 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2012
    Hi all,

I'm a daily reader of this site and pay particularly close attention to the Olympus Cameras section of threads. I haven't read anything about this issue, nor have I found anything valuable resulting from my google searches...so I'm asking for any help/advice/etc.

About 2 months ago I sent my OM-D in for repair. I was having the issue where the body wasn't recognizing certain lenses and only the information showed on the back with a black screen and no ability to change aperture. After receiving it all seemed to have been fixed, but either an entirely new set of problems have come up or something wasn't really cured.

Now, I have the following problems:
    My camera makes extremely strange noises when its on (this is after update 1.5 and I know exactly what the IBIS should sound like, this is not it.) This doesn't always happen but I used the camera all day yesterday and it was making awful sounds inside.

When I turn the camera with half shutter pressed (I have IS preview enabled), I can hear what I assume is the sensor making loud, squeaky noises. This always happens (didn't before repair though).

The IBIS still has some slight effect, but I can confirm with 100% certainty that it is nowhere near as effective as it should be or was before the first trip in for repair. My videos with the 45mm are extremely shaky despite my having what I consider to be quite steady hands. I used to get perfectly smooth video with that lens like most people do.

Very frequently, and it seems to happen more frequently now than before, the IS1 symbol in the upper right hand corner will start flashing red after I take a photo. The screen then goes black and after a few seconds, the camera powers down.

I understand that I will need to send the camera in for repair but being that I'm taking a photography course and rely on the camera (and that I'm doing tons of traveling and don't want to be without it), this isn't really an option until Christmas time.

Any thoughts? Has this been identified before?

I've considered the possibility of one or more of the IBIS directions being problematic and have tried shooting with IS2 and IS3, but the results and sounds are the same it seems.

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: Also, one side of the leather on my silver OM-D fell off. Lousy gluing job they did.

2. Tincam

Tincam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Matt
    That's horrible. Olympus should just give you a new one.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I remember seeing a photo of the sensor IBIS assembly (& I can't find it again) & I'm sure there are springs that hold the floating sensor to the back of the frame. I suspect that one of these springs may have come off & if so, could be causing a scraping sound & also preventing full, proper movement of the sensor. Well, that's my guess & if that's the case, then Olympus needs to fix it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dbrantley13

May 17, 2012
    In a perfect world...I recall being told in their Singapore office that they only do exchanges within 2 weeks, or something ridiculous like that.

5. dbrantley13

May 17, 2012
    Your guess is better than mine, thanks for your reply.

It's quite frustrating that a camera which begs to be shown off has been such a headache to own so far. This will be 2 repairs and I only got it at the beginning of August.