1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D High ISO samples

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ray Sachs, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    • Like Like x 2
  2. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    very impressive..:smile:

3. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Maybe they should have called it OMG after all...

-Ray

4. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Holy Moly! If that's real it's astounding. Ray is right.

But.... note that Firmware is v 0.9. Does that mean it's not the production version?

5. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I assume its the last pre-production version with final tweaks still to come. I seriously doubt the performance will be WORSE in he production FW. The thing to remember is that these shots are pretty well lit and high ISO does better (obviously) in well lit conditions. But there are enough dark areas in the shadows to get an idea and, well, if this holds up to real scrutiny in the coming weeks, there's something pretty good happening here.

-Ray

6. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    This is probably at default JPEG settings, so noise reduction is probably at work here.

Odds are low light / high ISO performance will be on-par with the GX1/G3 cameras. Totally cool with me :tongue:

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I was looking at those earlier. Made the same assumption as Starlabs, though I did assume that Oly's magic jpg engine would really shine with the G3 sensor, so I'm not surprised there. But it's hard to move away from RAW. I will certainly enjoy seeing early results from this cam. I'm happy with my EPM1, so I'm not burning for it, but I'll be watching it closely.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Those pictures suck. The bread looks all dried up.

9. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    Now THAT's impressive! Looking at the gradation on the bread, plus the metal, and the dark shadow of the bread, I see that this can definitely produce some really good photos up to ISO 6400 and maybe ISO8000 in ideal lighting, too

10. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I would take these pics with a grain of salt. I saw another photo taken by a journalist at the HK press launch with the E-M5 and 12-50 kit lens at ISO 1600, admittedly under extremely harsh lighting conditions, but doesn't look impressive at all:

You can see the original image in this link:
    http://www.dcfever.com/articles/news/2012/02/120208em5p1010029.jpg

I have a resized version and couple crops here for your easy reference:
    120208em5p1010029_Resized.

120208em5p1010029_Crop01.

120208em5p1010029_Crop02.
    Source: DCFever.com - 香港最多人上o既數碼相機ã€æ”影教學ã€æ‰‹æ©Ÿè³‡è¨Šç¶²

Too bad there is no comparison photo with say an E-P3...

11. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis

:biggrin: I know right?

I was surprised by the quality! I kept thinking I had the wrong image selected when I was looking for iso 3200. If that's what the jpg engine can do- doing it manually in RAW might be even better :2thumbs:

What I really wanted was usable 3200 iso, and it looks like I'll have it! Ah, I'll have to pop in a roll of ilford delta sometime soon too.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This is what I'm thinking too... yush. :cool:

13. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If it's a pre production model is the firmware normally set up to write on the card?

14. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The G3/GX1 have usable ISO 3200. I gave up on my G3 because I didn't like the metering/colors in comparison to Olympus. If the OM-D has trademark Olympus colors and metering, I believe this sensor will really shine.

15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    If the images forwarded by Ray are bonafide ... then I am getting one of those Olympus OM-G.

16. Silly old me, I was also looking at the low ISO shots...they seem quite soft. I think the focus point may have been jumping around a bit which doesn't help but hopefully the lack of bite is due to the 45mm being soft at f/1.8 rather than anything inherent to the camera. I assume the cropped images were at 100%