OM-D (HDR) auto bracketing guide request.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by monchan, Aug 2, 2012.

1. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    So I`m a noob, enjoying my OM-D, although its still out of my league.
    I`ve been reading "understanding exposure" and other things here and there,
    looking at images of HDR and want to give it a try. While from "understanding exposure" the procedure was explained quite simply and I thought I can do that.
    Then I was reading the other thread on auto bracketing thats getting a lot of posts and well now I`m like...hang on.

So I`d like to make a request to anyway to post your method of how you do it
    your way, explianed so a noob can navigate the OM-D and get results.
    It would be good if a few different ways of achieving it are outlined. If it works post it, explian it (for a noob) ev stops explianed.

As this is for noobs mybe no my sets would be best

Actually can someone right off the bat explain the AE BKT menu.
    I think I have an Idea, but an explianation would be nice.

2f 0.3EV 3f 0.3ev 5f..... 7f.....
    2f 0.7ev 3f 0.7ev
    2f 1.0ev 3f 1.0ev

My last request is dont dish other peoples methods, comment on it sure. just to keep the clutter down.
  2. Pyro451

Pyro451 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    For starters...

Page 63 explains how to set up exposure bracketing in the OD-D.

Software or plugins like Enfuse combine the images to create an HDR image.

That is about as far as I got, but it does make a difference (see the linked post above).

I am sure some experts here will provide more details.
  3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    MySets are a way to set the camera to a default state For instance I have one MySet for my daylight default, another for studio, etc. You can change a million settings from shoot to shoot, going to a MySet I know the camera is set to specific settings and I'll know there won't be something weird like a fluorescent white balance setting; it saves me from checking every setting to see what it is, because I'll already know every setting is at my chosen default.

As for exposure bracketing, "f" stands for how many frames will be taken, and "EV" is Exposure Value or "stop". 1/3 EV is 1/3rd of a stop.
  4. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    It's the number of frames / shots it takes and how many exposures (EV) apart they are. This is the same EV as in exposure compensation, so 3f 0.3EV it's basically the same as taking shots with exp comp (front dial) to 0, -0.3, +0.3 in Aperture priority.

You'll also want to take the photos in sequential mode, to ensure any moving subjects don't move too much, or if you're not using a tripod that you don't move too much.

I generally use AEB at 5f 1EV, because up to 3f 1EV you can pretty much get from one RAW file. You can practice what kind of exposures you need by manually adjusting exposure compensation with a setting like - 2 photos in a room towards a window, one exposure set for the inside of the room and the second for outside.

Wow! Nice summary, but it's only majorly OT since the OP said he doesn't want to use MYSET... Myset does not inherently help with HDR, it only recalls stored settings, whatever they were set to. But if you don't know what to set your camera to, what good is MYSET? :wink:
  5. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    Thanks for your replies,
    I found this which is pretty clear.
    HDR and the E-M5 |

Pyro451 thanks for the heads up with enfuse, I will try to give it a go this weekend.

I didnt explain what I wanted to ask very well. (hot here few beers)
    I know that f is for the number of frames and ev is the exposure level.
    What I really wanted to know is why have two 2,3,5,7 frames?
    Before seeing pyro`s enfuse thread I thought you needed a min. of 5 frames guess I was wrong. That looks pretty good.
    How different would 5 vs 7 frames be, what kind of situations would warrent 7frmaes.
    I think I have enough confidence to try it out. Will try to make a trip up to my local pond or find a nice building.
  6. photocat

photocat New to Mu-43

Mar 5, 2012
    The range of contrast determines how many exposures are needed.

FOr many, the rule of thumb is a minimum of three however, again, what is the contrast range. Think of your histogram and shooting "from shoulder to shoulder".