Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by spinyman, May 25, 2012.

1. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Finally got my grip today from B & H.I thought I would only use the horizontal grip,which greatly improves handling, but I really like how the camera feels with both halves on it.By moving the shutter button forward,your hand is spread out more and the placement of the buttons and dials is much more intuitive and relaxed.Also,there is a rubbery coating on both parts that just grips like glue.Yes, it is much larger, a little heavier.but after a few minutes of adjusting, the weight seems to melt away.I rarely shoot in portrait mode,so I really won't use the bottom buttons, but I like the heft and a resting place for my pinky finger.There is an issue with the batteries that I didn't foresee.
    If you only use the top part, then you must remove the grip to access the battery.This is no problem sitting at my desk, but out on the street shooting, it will be a royal pain in the ass juggling the camera, battery and grip at once.With both parts attached,problem solved, as the bottom battery compartment is easily opened.
    I can see myself using both when I am close to home and out taking pictures,but they will most likely stay home when I travel.
    I have a dumb question.How do you activate the bottom buttons on the grip?I also understand you can designate the order of battery usage as well.Thanks in advance.
    BTW, I'm not wild about what it cost me, money that could have gone towards a new lens,however,this thing has quality written all over it.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

AFAIK the portrait controls are activated when you turn the switch away from 'lock'. As to the batteries I have set upon the method of only using one battery at a time. I keep the other one in my pocket or pouch. The battery change on the grip is so easy and you don't have to unscrew anything. I may never put a battery in the camera itself. This is doubly handy when using a tripod. :thumbup:
  3. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Under menu>gears>K>Battery Priority you can designate which battery the camera will use first.
  4. spinyman

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    That is a simple,elegant and instantaneous solution.Why didn't I notice that?

Thanks for those instructions.I'll probably do what snapper does and just use the bottom battery.That will drop a little weight off too.

I wonder if anyone who has gotten the grip is disappointed with it for any reason.I,for one am going to love it.
  5. TDP

TDP Guest

So is everyone happy with the grip?
  6. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    +1 for being happy. Especially with larger lenses, it gives better handling support.
  7. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Still waiting for mine...
  8. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Love to use it with my 4/3 14-54 and 40-150 lens and also ease off my worries with two batteries in tandem. Now I can snap all day.
  9. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Love my grip...though I only use the horizontal for now...
  10. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Very happy with the grip. I use both pieces and it feels like a 1D, but without the weight.

The battery issue is a bit of a pain, but not one I have to worry about until I get a second battery. (grumble grumble)
  11. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 29, 2011
  12. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    I've been wanting to get the grip but can't find it anywhere...
  13. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Love my grip too :smile:

14. Kevmaughan

Kevmaughan Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2011
    What kind of wrist strap are you sporting there?
  15. spinyman

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    Lookin good! I have this lens as well.Really couldn't use it on my other bodies because it was too shaky to focus.I'll have to give it a try on the OM-D.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Glenn S

Feb 1, 2010
  17. Glenn S

Feb 1, 2010
    Works really well; a high quality 270mm (equivalent) f2.8 image stabilised lens for £60 off ebay
  18. timein

timein Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2011
    Love the grip!
  19. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I should have mine on Wednesday. Got it for the few clients that like to see a bigish camera but I'm happy to shoot small although with the grip I'm sure the whole thing is super tiny still.

Will be nice to have the extra charged battery in it this summer as I complete a 30 location portrait commission.
  20. VisualFeast

VisualFeast Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2012
    30!! location! :eek: wow. :)