OM-D Grip Query

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by chrism_scotland, Jun 25, 2012.

1. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I read that the grip for the OMD is 2 part, so you can add the horizontal grip and then the vertical/battery grip separate.

How does just the first part of grip help in regards to the handling of the camera, and does anyone have a pic of their OMD with just this part attached?
  2. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    It's probably clearer to describe them as Landscape Grip (part 1) and Portrait Grip (part 2).

Horizontal allows better Landscape handling and Vertical allows better Portrait handling.

3. 250swb

250swb Mu-43 Regular

Yes, agreed. The first part of the grip does everything needed to get a better hold or to balance longer telephoto lenses. The second part (apart from the extra battery) adds the extra release button in portrait format. The first part doesn't get in the way of a portrait orientation, but the second part makes it just a little bit more comfortable. In either case though it is entirely possible to use the OMD without any grip at all, you are simply talking about slight refinements in comfort.

4. dgorman47

dgorman47 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2012
    Here is a video of the grip. [ame=""]grip video[/ame]
  5. artsifrtsy

artsifrtsy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    I run with the first part of the grip on all the time - even in portrait it gives me more to hang onto. Plus the body still fits into my bag with it on - once you add the portrait part you loose the ability to sow it in a narrow bag and the added weight is much more noticeable.
  6. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Both Grips Stay On My EM5 All The Time

But then long reach photography is most of my shooting. But I also like having the battery compartment accessible without interfering with a tripod plate or needing to come off the support. I never bother to put a battery in the camera itself. Just more weight. I keep my auxiliary battery in a pocket or pouch. I should also mention I have hands like a gorilla. :biggrin:
  7. artsifrtsy

artsifrtsy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Smart - I hadn't thought about just using the grip compartment. I find even the top piece really helps with my long zoom.
  8. campbellcj

campbellcj Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    I just got the grip kit yesterday and immediately see/feel the improvement that the small grip piece brings to the camera. I doubt I'll ever take it off. For serious shooting I definitely prefer having separate portrait-mode controls as well as extended battery capacity but I see the battery grip as a very occasional use thing in my case. Plus, I don't have a second battery yet since they seem to be out of stock everywhere!
  9. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    I prefer to have the entire grip installed. This way I not only gain the extra controls but I find I use the larger lower portion to steady things with a holding style that just works for me. Also I find it hugely annoying to not have access to the battery as would be the case with the landscape only portion installed. This way I just pop the battery in and out at will. I have never felt the need nor desire to place a battery in the body and then another in the grip which is also the case with some DSLR's I've owned. It's a lot of personal taste. But as I say I like it ALL given the choice. If I want as small as possible I'll forgo the entire grip.