1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

OM-D goes to the studio

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by noflux, Feb 4, 2013.

1. noflux

noflux Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2010
    Porto, Portugal
    A few test shots from a studio session using an Olympus OM-D E-M5, the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 and 2 softboxes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and one using an Olympus 50mm f/1.8 OM F.Zuiko
    [​IMG]

note: using that focus peaking hack on the OM-D with that 50mm lens is completely useless in low light ...
    are u listening Olympus? we need full implementation of focus peaking like the nex system.

• Like Like x 12
  2. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow very nice. I love the colors in the first one.

3. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

MF in low light is pretty tricky despite hack/peaking (even with live boost enabled) ... I will default to use a spot light to focus - then turn it off for capture.

4. rstrader

rstrader Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I do not understand all the fervor over focus peaking. I have nearly ever lens for the EM-5 and I photograph quickly moving subjects (dogs). I use mainly the PL25 1.4 and it snaps into focus without fail.

Prior to this I used a Sony a900 which did not "snap" into focus with any lens and I only used Sony/Zeiss lenses, no cheap glass. The EM-5 is a better camera in every respect and a joy to use. I still have a Sony a55 with a Zeiss 16-80 and it's a real pain to use after using the EM-5 and the picture quality isn't there like it is with the Olympus.

So, I ask. What's the big deal about focus peaking with the EM-5 is nearly flawless? Hmmmm?

The native lenses for the system are better than any legacy lens, why not use them? The Olympus 45mm will blow an old 50mm away.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ice_man

ice_man Mu-43 Regular

Dec 19, 2012
    Socal
    Z
    I guess the answer here is: Oly45mm - $399. While Oly 50mm - $40-$70.

That's one of the reasons why people choose legacy lenses.

Tapatalk.

6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Is the Oly 45 that expensive in the US??

I picked mine up - brand new - for 250 euros (and that includes 21% sales tax). The main attraction of the thing is that it's cheap and cheerful and tiny and sharp. I still have 5 legacy 50's and two Canon AF 50's, but that's beside the point...

7. Salc64

Salc64 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2012
    New York. USA
    Sal
    Well when you include your sales tax the 2 lenses are very similar in price, maybe a 10% difference . Although a agree on purchasing native lenses. You have to remember your idea of cheap may be different then someone else's .