1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

OM-D goes to the studio

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by noflux, Feb 4, 2013.

1. noflux

noflux Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 7, 2010
    Porto, Portugal
    A few test shots from a studio session using an Olympus OM-D E-M5, the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 and 2 softboxes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and one using an Olympus 50mm f/1.8 OM F.Zuiko
    [​IMG]

note: using that focus peaking hack on the OM-D with that 50mm lens is completely useless in low light ...
    are u listening Olympus? we need full implementation of focus peaking like the nex system.

• Like Like x 12
  2. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Wow very nice. I love the colors in the first one.

3. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

MF in low light is pretty tricky despite hack/peaking (even with live boost enabled) ... I will default to use a spot light to focus - then turn it off for capture.

4. rstrader

rstrader Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Apr 12, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I do not understand all the fervor over focus peaking. I have nearly ever lens for the EM-5 and I photograph quickly moving subjects (dogs). I use mainly the PL25 1.4 and it snaps into focus without fail.

Prior to this I used a Sony a900 which did not "snap" into focus with any lens and I only used Sony/Zeiss lenses, no cheap glass. The EM-5 is a better camera in every respect and a joy to use. I still have a Sony a55 with a Zeiss 16-80 and it's a real pain to use after using the EM-5 and the picture quality isn't there like it is with the Olympus.

So, I ask. What's the big deal about focus peaking with the EM-5 is nearly flawless? Hmmmm?

The native lenses for the system are better than any legacy lens, why not use them? The Olympus 45mm will blow an old 50mm away.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ice_man

ice_man Mu-43 Regular

Dec 19, 2012
    Socal
    Z
    I guess the answer here is: Oly45mm - $399. While Oly 50mm - $40-$70.

That's one of the reasons why people choose legacy lenses.

Tapatalk.

6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Is the Oly 45 that expensive in the US??

I picked mine up - brand new - for 250 euros (and that includes 21% sales tax). The main attraction of the thing is that it's cheap and cheerful and tiny and sharp. I still have 5 legacy 50's and two Canon AF 50's, but that's beside the point...

7. Salc64

Salc64 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2012
    New York. USA
    Sal
    Well when you include your sales tax the 2 lenses are very similar in price, maybe a 10% difference . Although a agree on purchasing native lenses. You have to remember your idea of cheap may be different then someone else's .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.