Om-d, g5, nex-6

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by bwidjaja, Sep 12, 2012.

1. bwidjaja

bwidjaja Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    Assuming my ability is well below what these cameras are capable of, here is how i rank them (based on what i feel important of course). But interested to hear what your thoughts are.

IQ (DR,Noise,etc): NEX-6 > OMD > G5
    Ergonomics (built in grip, etc): G5/NEX-6 > OM-D
    Lens: G5/OMD > NEX-6
    Legacy Lens: OMD (IBIS) > NEX-6 (peaking) > G5
    Price: G5 > NEX-6 > OMD

With the Sony lens announcement, I am leaning more and more toward the NEX-6.
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    My guesses at how things will shake out for me. Keep in mind that many of these things are subjective. For example, I happen to love the ergos of the OMD sans grip:

Lens selection: OMD = G5 > NEX-6
    Ergonomics: OMD > G5 = NEX-6
    Autofocus performance (other than tracking): G5 > OMD >> NEX-6
    Legacy lens: NEX-6 > OMD > G5
    Sensor IQ: NEX-6 > OMD > G5
    Price: G5 >> NEX-6 > OMD
    Looks: OMD > NEX-6 > G5

I'm interested to see how the Sony 35 OSS performs. I currently have the Sigma 19mm for NEX, and while it's a very good lens, I prefer the Pana 14 on MFT to the Sigma 19 on NEX, mainly because the P14 focuses like lightning, and the S19 focuses at an average speed.

The Sony 35 OSS will be to Sony what the PL25 is to MFT. The Sony is slightly less expensive at $450. For any lighting situation requiring ISO 400 or higher, the difference in sensor IQ or DOF between NEX-6 and OMD will be completely negated by the speed difference between the S35 and PL25. The question will be whether the size, weight, AF, and optical performance of the Sony will be up to the high standard of the PL25.
  3. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    I think you have the price equation around the wrong way there Amin :biggrin:

Still no "pro" grade walkabout zoom. Very disappointing IMHO.
  4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I find the weaknesses in my photos are rarely due to limitation of the sensor performance, particularly DR. Typically, what separates my better photos from my poorer ones is down to me, and maybe the lens (not lens IQ, but field of view).

As such, I doubt the measurably better performance of the Sony sensor will provide me with a significant advantage. OTOH, the lens line-up of m43 is a real advantage to me. Even were I starting from scratch, m43 looks to be a far superior system for my use. IF the NEX truly has usable C-AF for shooting action, that would be something in its favor, but since I don't really shoot much sports these days it probably wouldn't change the equation for me.

Given that I already have half a dozen m43 lenses, sticking to this system is a no-brainer.

But continuing with the list theme:

IQ (sensor): They're all good enough for making great photographs
    Ergos: G5 (or GH2) > OM-D > NEX (subject to change when I can actually handle one)
    AF: OM-D = G5 (both are more than fast enough for stills, neither fast enough for tracking action), NEX TBD
    Legacy Lens: don't really care
    Price: I can afford any of the three, so other factors matter more
    Lens selection: OM-D > G5 >> NEX (I rated the OM-D higher only because IBIS enhances the abilities of certain lenses
  5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    meyerweb, I can't disagree with what you say regarding lenses, but my conclusion is different. I'm almost viewing the multitude of m4/3 native options as a weakness. For me, at least, too many choices may not be a good thing. I'm thinking maybe a kit with fewer options would be helpful. The 16-50 + 35/1.8 + 50/1.8 looks kind of attractive. I think I talked myself in to that logic with the Fuji X system, and now it is taking hold in my brain.

If the NEX-6 can track action that would be big for me, as I'd dump my DSLR. The E-M5 is not getting me there.
  6. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Phase-detect is clearly a big wild card right now. Sony still can't touch the m43 primes (Sigmas included) for size/IQ right now.
  7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    The best thing about the NEX-6 for me is that it is smaller than an E-P3 or GX1, yet has a built-in EVF. Apparently Olympus and Panasonic cannot do what Nikon and Sony have - namely integrate an EVF without making the camera unpocketable.

8. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Well, if you want a lack of native lens selection, then the NEX system is a good choice! :rofl: Just kidding, sorry, couldn't resist!

I understand what you are saying about having a simplified kit, but I think you can make that happen on a personal level (after selecting which lenses best meet your needs)?

I rarely need to shoot anything that is moving fast, but I think it would be awesome to have a hyrbid AF system in m4/3. One thing I did see on this subject re: the NEX-6, on DPR's preview, is that it will not work on all of the lenses:

"Note that this hybrid AF technology is not compatible with any of the fixed focal length E-mount lenses except the high-end Sonnar T* 24mm F1.8 ZA. And existing E-mount zooms will require a firmware update."

I would think that the upcoming 35/1.8 and wide zoom would be supported, but it sounds like tough luck on the Sigmas, or 50/1.8.
  9. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Eh? Strange logic honestly. You don't have to buy every lens available. There are not so many lenses that it's confusing, especially if you're looking to build a pared down kit.

You could build a similar system with m4/3 today.

I'm keeping a close watch on this. Nobody else has really delivered in this area, so the first to do so would have a huge leg up IMO.
  10. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    I know that there are no DR tests on the -6 yet, but from the graphs I've read the EM-5 has more DR than both the -5N and -7.

The EM-5 also has pretty similar ISO performance to the -5N and better than the -7.

So if those are your main criterion for IQ, I don't think the NEX system offers big advantages. I know the APS-C sensor has the DOF advantage, and most say it has a different "look". The EM-5 has narrowed that gap significantly.
  11. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Guys, my comments about fewer lens options being better are a bit tongue in cheek. Obviously, if I had self control, I'd be able to manage a smaller m4/3s kit as well. If.
  12. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I don't tend to dismiss dynamic range so easily. I find that it opens up more compositions that wouldn't work nearly as well with large patches of deep shadow or white sky. It won't change the world, but it does move the goalposts of what is possible.
  13. bwidjaja

bwidjaja Mu-43 Regular

May 30, 2012
    Agree with sensor size, DR, DOF argument between NEX and OMD.
    And my leaning toward NEX-6 is primarily because I am a bit disappointed with OMD price point if I include grip, which I know i will need.

On the other hand, if Sony 35mm is a let down, which is very possible given how much i like the P25 rendering, it's no deal.
  14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That's an important point I think a lot of folks are overlooking. Easy to take great lenses for granted!

There are a lot of small things I love about the OMD, like the shutter release sound for example. Again, very easy to take for granted but my NEX-C3 reminds me how it can be to go without some of these things.

Lastly, I wonder how many people actually have much use for AF tracking. Lots of people talk about it, but 95% of DSLR users I know leave their AF in single shot mode rather than continuous. The most sophisticated AF tracking I ever had was on my Nikon D700. It was great for tracking birds and athletes, but completely unable to deal with my kids doing their thing, so I learned to anticipate, prefocus, and pick my spots, all of which works nicely with MFT. Not saying that some people don't need AF tracking, but I'm guessing that great single shot AF performance matters much more to the great majority of folks.
  15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I use C-AF and C-tracking for my kids sports & airshows.....
    I don't care if I'm a minority in that sense.....:smile:
  16. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    2 things:

1) I completely agree on the new 35mm. The NEX series only has 4 really good lenses (19mm, 24mm, 30mm & the 50mm is quite good too). Even with awesome manual focusing, the native m43 lenses are what made me re-adopt the standard (I'm very flakey :p).

2) Phase-detect/AFC is a big one for me mainly for the birding and even with this I've learned to zone focus (or infinity focus) and anticipate as much as possible. I have 2 300mm f4.5 primes (from Minolta/Nikon) and an FD 85-300mm f4.5. All three of the lenses out resolve both the Olympus 75-300mm & the Panasonic 100-300mm. Finally I guess my fallacy hoping for good AFC with the NEX6/5R is...Sony doesn't even have an e-mount lens that goes beyond 350mm (135mm format equivalent).

Thanks again for the good rationale points Amin & bwidjaja.
  17. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    When I had the NEX7 there were things that bugged me enough to get rid of it. Things like having to go through the menu to change from A to S mode it's pretty annoying. I'm glad they fixed that issue with the NEX6. I think for me the biggest thing that attracts me to the NEX6 is the hybrid AF. When I had the NEX7 it wasn't really good tracking moving subjects or even locking focus in low light. I'm really interested to see how the hybrid AF will work in this regard. I preordered the NEX6 today and will end up selling the EM-5. I only wish I can afford to have both systems =/
  18. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I don't dismiss it, but I find that shooting raw, and using LR4, lack of dynamic range is rarely a significant issue, for me.

I suspect almost every parent of sports-age kids can benefit from good C-AF.

I found the AF tracking ability of my EOS gear to be a great help when shooting my kids playing soccer, basketball, running track, etc. I also like to shoot motorsports, and find it very useful. Instead of pre-focusing and getting one shot of the car as it passes, I can fire off a burst as a car comes around a corner, giving me multiple angles on the car.

AF tracking doesn't work to well on randomly moving subjects, but it can work quite well in most sports, tracking a player running down the field / court with a ball, or a race car moving at a steady, but very fast, speed. Certainly not every shot is in focus, but I get more good shots than I would trying to focus manually, and I'm more likely to capture the critical point in the action than I would be pre-focusing.
    • Like Like x 2