1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D Frustration

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Nathan King, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Nathan King

Nathan King Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    I've noticed a recurring issue with my OM-D and am wondering what the heck I'm doing wrong. This does not happen with my E-PL5. Every few dozen shots or so I get one that looked great in the viewfinder but ends up very underexposed (like 1.5-2 stops!). I've triple checked my metering mode and exposure compensation, and the underexposed image seems random. :confused:

To top it off, every once in a while the camera shoots a completely black frame! Many of these shots are outdoors on a sunny day, so lack of light should not be an issue. Anybody have any ideas? I tried another SD card (the one from my PL5), and the same thing happens. The lens I'm using doesn't seem to make a difference either.

2. IDLookout

IDLookout Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Northern Idaho
    I've heard that some OMD's have a faulty shutter that causes this to happen sporadically.

3. Quebecois

Quebecois New to Mu-43

Jan 13, 2013
    Hi
    Mine suffers exactly the same problem. The black picture usually happens when the camera has been waken up (the first picture after turning on the camera or when it was in a sleeping mode). So far, I did not find the cure. I'm getting used to check every picture I'm taking now. My Om-D is a little bit over one year old and it looks like this problem was not present a couple of months ago. I would be interested to know how other users dealt with that problem.

4. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Could be firmware update. I just updated mine and one of the notes said something about waking up from sleep mode better. I've never had this happen though.

5. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Sounds like a defective shutter unit.

6. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Olympus repaired/replaced mine. It's a fault. Send it in as it gets worse over time.

Gordon

7. Nathan King

Jun 19, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    Darn. I will give Olympus a call tomorrow.

Well, at least I have a PL5 to use while I'm waiting. :frown:

8. tweggs

tweggs Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 18, 2012
    Seattle, WA. USA
    Yes, we have 2 and both do this from time to time. I just hadn't noticed a pattern to when this happens. Thanks for the information.

9. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    My first ยต43 cam was an e-pm1 with a shutter fault. At 1/4000 the shutter would consistently obscure part of the frame. I only noticed after getting a prime lens and shooting outside in bright daylight.

Check the speeds you're getting the black frame at - they might all be above the same speed. If so, it's back to Olympus...

10. Nathan King

Jun 19, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    Well, their technical support sucks. I was told I needed to open the aperture to 1.3 to let in more light to get a brighter picture....shooting in broad daylight. I didn't know Olympus made a :43: lens that fast anyway, and I'm a bit insulted that it was assumed I know nothing about exposure. :rolleyes:

At least I got a claim number and am able to ship the thing back.

11. Prtyphoto

Prtyphoto Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 10, 2013
    LOL.... sorry but couldn't help it.... not the brightest ppl those tech support overseas....

12. Nathan King

Jun 19, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    The camera is off to Olympus. Shame it won't be back in time for a major local photo op. I will keep everybody updated.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

13. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I had that problem when I had my E-M5, send to Olympus to have whole shutter replaced

14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    You're handling this well. That support call reminds me of the old joke that goes:

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
    "Well, don't do that."

15. Nathan King

Jun 19, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    That's okay. In the climate we're in, there are people that need a job that aren't camera lovers or even enthusiasts, and I can understand that. Like many other support departments, it appears to be a training issue where the fault lies further up the management chain anyway, and businesses can't afford pay their engineers to sit on the phone all day. What is getting angry with the support guy going to accomplish? I got what I wanted...a trip back to Olympus.

16. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I've never seen mine do this. However thinking about it, it might have happened and I attributed it to operator error (I have lots of those :smile: ).

17. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Mine has done this too! I've shot around 7000 pictures on my travels over the past 3 weeks. Of that many shots, I have about 3 or 4 black exposures.

That said, I am fine with this unless it gets worse. I haven't updated the firmware in ages.

One problem I am getting more frequently is that after shooting some long exposure shots, the camera seems to freak out and I have to do a restart. This seems to happen quite a lot tbh. Well, every time I do long exposures. In fact, it happened during a water light display and caused me to miss 20-30 seconds worth of frames. But I am using long exposures quickly with little breaks in time.

Will be uploading my Taiwan / Hong Kong pics late next week! Think I have some great ones! =] Still love this thing!

18. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    M@
    Check the metering mode. I found using (forgot what it's called) the full frame evaluative metering, often times my subject would be underexposed if there was a bright background. Changed to spot or center weighted average, and it seems to be OK.

Way overexposed ends up with a black image file.

19. Nathan King

Jun 19, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    The odd thing is, though, that the OMD chooses shutter speeds and ISO identically to my PL5. The PL5 pictures are perfectly exposed, so it stands to reason that the OMD pictures should be as well given that the parameters affecting exposure were identical.

20. Nathan King

Jun 19, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    Olympus received it the 19th, began the repair the 20th, and it's out of repair today. Hopefully it will begin its journey back in a few days. So far I'm impressed.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2