OM-D: force needed to mount lenses

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Valleyboy, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Valleyboy

Valleyboy New to Mu-43

Jul 31, 2013
    Hi there,

I'm new to the boards, having just picked up an OM-D with the 12-50 as well as the 45. These look to be great boards, so I'm looking forward to posting more, getting to know you guys and sharing photos and knowledge.

Question of the day: I'm finding it takes a surprising amount of force to mount either of my lenses (12-50 or 45) on the OM-D, compared with my Canon DSLR.

For those of who who have shot both, do you find mounting 4/3 lenses requires more force than doing so for DSLRs? Am I just being too delicate?

Thanks in advance.
    andrew

2. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Its tough to say since its a subjective thing. Maybe your particular canon had a loose tolerance and your OMD/leses have a tight tolerance.

I had a 12-50mm that fit tight as well. My 60mm also fits very tight. I thinknit has to do with the weather seal. I prefer a tight fit personally, since there is less click-clack when manual focusing. Unless you think its tight to the point where the mount will wear off (metal flakes) i wouldnt worry about it enjoy it the way it the way it is.
    I actually posted the opposite question a while back since i noticed some of my lenses seemed looser than before, thinking maybe the mount was going bad over time. Thinking about it now, I think i was just overly attached to my first ever camera back then and was overly paranoid about damaging it.

3. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I find the 45 is generally pretty tight. The 12-50 not so bad.

4. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    It gets better the more you swap. They mesh better over time.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    +1

6. Valleyboy

Valleyboy New to Mu-43

Jul 31, 2013
    Thanks for the help all, I'm sure its just something I'll have to get used to.

7. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    The only lens I had that was ever tight on my Canon DSLR's was the Sigma 10-20mm UWA lens when placed on my backup 7D. Buttery smooth on all L lenses on all Canon bodies.

I find the :43: lenses snug but I don't think I would describe my experience as forcing it on. It gets smoother over time as mentioned above.

8. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Agree on this... the 45mm is actually the only lens I have that is tight on the E-M5 and E-PM2

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

9. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    I dont own the 45mm, but I do have several lenses and there definitely is variation on the tightness. For example the Oly 12mm is pretty hard to get on and off.