OM-D for studio (strobe) work?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Eric4, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Eric4

Eric4 New to Mu-43

Oct 28, 2012
    Hi all, first post here. I've been researching the wealth of information on this form and really have my eye on the OM-D. One field that I wasn't able to find much information on is how well it works with strobes and the overall user experience using mirrorless cameras in a studio environment.

I'm currently using a t2i, alienbee 800's, and radiopoppers but I'm hoping to sell the t2i once I switch to micro 4/3 system. If mirrorless cameras just don't work well in a studio environment, I'll have to invest in some canon lenses.

Any input is helpful. Thank you
  2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
  3. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    As soon as I get my OMD (Tuesday), I'll be experimenting with it for studio work....can't wait!
  4. Hudsonhites

Hudsonhites Mu-43 Regular

Jul 14, 2011
    The only thing the OMD is lacking for studio work is a PC port.
    If you need a PC port then you'll have to get an adapter for the hotshoe
  5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't get paid by Olympus, but still use Micro Four-Thirds exclusively in my studio of my own volition. Cyclops Photo Studio

Compared to your T2i, you'll find the OM-D E-M5 to be a breeze to work with. All the controls are more accessible and the setup so much more flexible than any of the Rebel series. Some of the default settings are a little asinine though, so you may want to ask around here with us more experienced Olympus users on how to get the initial setup to an efficient and user-friendly place.
  6. Eric4

Eric4 New to Mu-43

Oct 28, 2012
    Thanks for all the info. This has really built my confidence with the OM-D and m4/3 format.

Does anyone know if i can still control my B800's with radiopoppers AND get an olympus hotshoe flash to be controlled wirelessly at the same time? If so, which flash unit would work?
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes. Use the dumb Slave mode on any Olympus R-series flash and it will trigger off the strobes. Or get another receiver for your radio poppers.

You will not be able to use RC mode from the camera to control the flash, as that requires the Remote Commander which plugs into the hotshoe. I'm assuming you're using that hotshoe for your radio transmitter. However, TTL flash would be asinine to use alongside studio strobes anyways, so there's no reason you would want to use RC mode over dumb slave mode.