1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D for sports and fast moving object anyone?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by st3v4nt, May 6, 2012.

1. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Just read the article about Nikon 1 Series for sports, the writer says the blur caused by the slow lens and not by the AF of Nikon 1 series which he say quite fast.

Nikon V1 for indoor sports? By Bradley Husick | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

I wonder the OM-D performance in sports and fast moving object did anyone already try it? Due to the lack of fast zoom perhaps with m4/3 fast fixed ?

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    As a Nikon 1 owner, I can say this.

The auto-focus continuous & tracking are quite fast. The achilles heel of the Nikon 1 system is that there are no fast primes. The 2.7 crop factor is a plus but until Nikon releases something Olympus-style (i.e. M. Zuiko 45mm or M. Zuiko 75mm) it will be tough for them to catch up.

Sony also learned the hard way that adapters can only go so far - the body needs native lenses.

3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I shoot a ton of sports and action stuff. When I shoot for publication I still use dSLR for the faster AF, higher FPS and better lens system.

I am purchasing an OM-D, betting on the AF is finally capable of AF-ing in the same playing field as the big boys. While 4.5 FPS isn't ideal for action, it's still okay, I'll just have to work harder. I'll be holding my breath waiting for the pro-grade, fast, long lenses ... then I can retire my FF cameras.

Gary

4. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Aren't the 50/1.8G and 85/1.8G fast enough at focusing on the 1? Even with the adapter, neither are particularly large lenses.

DH

5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've only had the OMD for a short time and it was only taking snapshots of my son on a bike yesterday with the 45-200mm. The camera AF is night and day compared to my E-PL1 (and G1) but I still feel it lags behind my old 1dmark II.

Granted...
    - it was also in very gloomy conditions (I was filling with a powerful fast-cycle flash).
    - My memory of using the Canon 1dmarkII was with with very fast L lenses (zooms and primes) vs the slowish 45-200mm. Not really a fair comparison.
    - I no longer have my Canon system to make a direct comparison.

I noticed that AF performance is significantly better with the 12-50mm kit... so perhaps its the case were the lens itself simply can't keep up.

Part of me thinks that the smaller group of professionals would be content if MMF adapted 4/3 lenses were to perform just as good as the native micro 4/3 on this system. There are some mighty interesting optics available in 4/3.

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I have the 50. The problem with adapted lenses is that you only have AF-S mode.

AFS-C and AFS-C Tracking do not work with adapted lenses.

That being said, you can be successful. :smile:

7. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    Just curious if you have upgraded the firmware to 1.3 on the 45-200? It appears to have improved AF performance quite a bit. I don't get my 45-200 until tomorrow so don't have a clue how the lens works yet.

8. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yup... Upgraded.

9. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    I would say that if you aren't too dependent on AF Tracking mode you could take some nice amateur and junior sports shots with the faster native prime lenses. The tracking mode on the E-M5 is not good. I wish Olympus hadn't even included it- it feels tacked on. Like somebody in the marketing department felt they needed that feature to be taken seriously or something. It's fun to watch the tracking boxes in the viewfinder follow the action to some degree of accuracy, but the actual photos are terribly hit-and-miss. But, as has been talked about elsewhere, AF with native lenses is VERY fast as long as the contrast is reasonably good on your subject. If you can anticipate the track of the action yourself you probably could use this as a close-range sports shooter fairly successfully with some of the more recent prime lenses. At longer distances (any event where you'd be limited to sideline shooting) you will have problems.

Depth-of-field would be an issue. I would say the one area where shallow DOF is necessary all the time is sports shooting. The subject absolutely needs to be isolated from the background to capture the action properly. As we know, shallow DOF is not a strength of the M4/3 format. This is where full frame shooters really shine, with the wide range of very fast telephoto lenses available to those formats. M4/3 can't touch this currently.

I imagine this handicap will be addressed by a lens manufacturer in the next year or two. Too many pros are eyeing the E-M5 as a legitimate replacement to their current gear, but the fast native long range lens thing is holding them back.

However, even if Olympus or Panasonic (or Sigma?) does get serious about making long fast glass I doubt we'll see any M4/3 mount 300mm f/2 lenses, so the E-M5 will not be replacing any Nikon D4's on sidelines anytime soon.

10. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Can anyone give sample how OM-D perform in sport and fast moving object, still got no chance to try it my self.

11. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

I've been shooting a street theatre festival (Festival of Fools in Belfast) for 4th day in a row now, so plenty of action with acrobats and such. Tomorrow's the last day so once I fish out the keepers and process them (all raw), I should have a pretty good idea. 90% with the 12-50, some low light with PL25, some longer distance shots with MZD 14-150. From a few glances at the pics so far, there are very few completely misfocused ones. I mean like 10 out of 500. The 25 and the 14-150 are OK for focusing speed but the 12-50 is an ideal companion for E-M5's capabilities. It feels like I'm holding my mom's Nikon F-100. Basically no need to worry about AF, AND no need to worry about ISO. I'd say AF speed of the lens is more of a limitation now. Works fine for my needs - I wouldn't probably use it for a car race or a sports event assignment - or maybe I would.

However I found a bug with the 12-50 in manual zoom mode. I haven't yet figured out what condition triggers it but sometimes when you use the zoom ring a lot, at the tele end (I think) sometimes the lens gets stuck and AF hunts forever. Activating AF multiple times has no effect. The only solution is to move the zoom ring - everything goes back to normal.

• Like Like x 1
  12. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Looking forward for your sample picture...
    It also nice if you could share the settings you use :)

13. Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park New to Mu-43

Jan 3, 2010
    I have only just got an OM-D so I haven't tried focusing on fast moving objects.

However some people have, and evidently there are several changes to the settings which assist focusing more quickly. One of them is using Vivid mode, which increases contrast, hence aids focusing. Some recommendations are: Vivid, C-AF, no tracking, 4fps, single point AF. Not sure about whether screen settings effect things either. And turn the stabiliser off. There's some other tricks too.

I just went out to the street, and its dusk, and photographed a car. All were in focus, and it came towards and then by me. Very surprising actually.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DFP

DFP New to Mu-43

May 2, 2012
    I have not found the tracking to be any use in a dim wedding reception setting, c-af is better but not perfect. For wedding purposes, s-af is so fast c-af is redundant, i can wait for the moment, focus and shoot, or prefocus.

I went to a gumkhana last week, and prefocussed on the jumps, with the kit 12-50. It was a bright day and i wanted the background to give more context, so the 45mm/20mm stayed in my bag. A massive benefit from the camera over my 620, 510 and ep-1 was the frame rate, which gave me a great choice of frames to pick after the event: 3/4 frames of the horse in mid air...with just 3fps i often found for action shots i had poctures fractions of a second too early/late. 9fps was such an advantage.

7160438360_cf098e0649.
    Gymkhana 2 by BaldyD, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think we should wait for the 75 1.8, 12-35 and 35-100 lenses to be released. Fast action needs fast telephoto lenses and those should be the lenses that really push M43. I'm excited to see what Panasonic does with the GH3 as well.

16. Melbourne Park

Melbourne Park New to Mu-43

Jan 3, 2010
    I have read that the 35-100 will be an F/2.8. The 50-200 from Olympus was/is about F/2.8 at 100mm, and at 180, about F/3.2 I recall. It weighs 980 grams I think.

I'd like say a 150-300mm F/2.8 ... although I wonder what it would weigh. Even a 200-300mm F/2.8 might do. You need a bit of zoom IMO ... unless Olympus or Panasonic thought outside the square ...

How about an F/2.5 250mm, that had two adapters that came with it, to increase or decrease length by just a little bit, and did not penalise the light much. For say that horse shot and football games etc, perhaps one could get around the lack of a zoom, by having an adapter, which would keep things light??

17. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Generally:
    I found that for indoor sports a 200mm (180mm) was sufficient and for outdoor 300mm to 500mm. You really have to be on top of your game to use anything longer than a 200mm indoors or a 400mm outdoors.

63273898_Wm5St-O-1.
    Canon: 800mm equivalent in 35mm

268137217_d3HJR-O.
    Canon: 500mm in 35mm

2CBL8291.
    Canon: 300mm in 35mm

2CBL9943.

IMG0374.

1239568342_4hQyx-O.
    Canon: 220mm in 35mm

• Like Like x 3
  18. thinkcooper

thinkcooper Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 29, 2011
    All shot with E-M5 and m.Z 12-50 kit lens in burst mode.

7114948195_f388e5056e_b.

6968861506_425fbf1a08_b.

6968921726_158a8d750b_b.

• Like Like x 1
  19. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Thanks for the input guys...