OM-D focus tracking

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by radamo, Mar 29, 2013.

1. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    I am going to be shooting an "Easter Egg Hunt" with my neighbor's children over the weekend. Thus far I have not used the OM-D for fast moving "targets". Am I better off with:
    A. C-AF and burst mode
    B. C-AF single shot
    C. S-AF burst
    D. S-AF single shot

I am okay with getting some OOF shots. So I am leaning to using choice "C". The S-AF is quite fast and I feel I probably will get some great shots that way.
    Any suggestions from anyone on how to ensure I get some good results?

Thanks in advance.
    Rich

2. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    If I were you I'd do some practice shots on people moving around using each technique and see what you think works best for you.

3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I have found the CAF not to my liking. It doesn't work with anything faster than ... mmmmh ... maybe walking. Even if the the CAF did track well, the EVF refresh rate is so slow that when using a burst rate of 4 FPS, you're blind for frames 2-3 and most times only a blurry piece of 4.

For action I found it best to use SAF on 4 FPS with back button focus. When the action starts to develop, I keep pumping the focus button to sorta keep up and releasing the shutter when something looks good. The SAF is very fast and very good.

Good Luck and Good Shooting,
    Gary

4. radamo

radamo Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Rich
    Gary,
    One question, I have tried back button focus several times in the past and find it clumsy. Although in my head it seems REALLY logical to separate focus from shutter release. After years of "training" i am finding it hard to switch. That being said....

How does that compare to 9FPS (or 4) and using the shutter button in the standard fashion. Won't it continue to attempt "re-lock" onto the target?

I guess I was thinking with the fast AF that might be a good way to go.

Looks like I will have to do some experimenting as suggested.
    Thanks,
    RA

5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Depending on how fast the action ... 9 or 4 ... your call, just remember that with 9 you have more than twice the number of images to review (watch your card and buffer space). I use 9 FPS for sports.

Rear button takes some time to get used to, kinda steep, but not long, learning curve. You can of course use single button AF/shutter release but now you have to control your finger pressure or else end up with a zillion OOF frames. When things start rolling I sorta slam the Rear Focus Button over and over very quickly to re-acquire focus with no worries of unwanted shutter releases. Easier to reframe also. The main thing for me is if the shutter releases prematurely, then I'm not necessarily set for the shot I want.

When I first went with rear button ... (back in 2005 and the 20D), initially it was frustrating and felt very awkward. But I stuck with it and now I really appreciate rear button. The OM-D Fn1 button is angled, seems to work better slightly sliding your thumb down rather than punching the button in. The Fn1 is not in a very good location for my hand design and nor is it very large. Hopefully, over time some of the small bones in my hand will move to accomodate the Oly engineers.

Gary