OM-D Focus Point has a mind of its own!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by cstevens, May 14, 2013.

1. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    OK, a few times I have noticed this, and its annoying so thought I would ask what I have missed.

I have Single Autofocus selected, and the centre focus point selected. Normally shoot with centre area priority.

So, I focus on something, it gets focus, but then a white box shoots off somewhere else and focuses there instead.

Any ideas what this could be? What do I need to turn off, because this missed me quite a few shots this weekend….especially when I was trying to prefocus on a point only to have it wander off and focus on a wall or something.
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi ...
    U must have been looking at DROP DEAD GORGEOUS EP5 pics online and ur OMD is jealous now man ..:wink::wink::wink::wink::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
    Anyway , reset everything and see how it performs.
  3. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    Nah, its only going to get jealous when the EM-6 comes out, and even then its going to be my backup camera it will have the 14mm glued to it I think :)

Tried resetting, can't even put my finger on when it happens, just seems random.
  4. weeowee

weeowee Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2012
    i think you have face detection or something turned on?
  5. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I had this with mine for a while until I figured out I had the LCD set to touch activation and occasionally hit the screen and it changed the focus point - turned that feature off, no more problems.

It could also as mentioned above be that you have face activation set and the camera thinks it sees a face so change focal point to that.......turn off face activation as well and all should be ok.
  6. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    Ah - now yes face detection was turned on….weird how it thinks a wall is a face lol.

I will turn this off, in fact I turned it off halfway through my day because street photography in London there are a lot of faces lol.
  7. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I've got the same problem C. Update this thread when and if you get this corrected. I'm going to try the same adjustments, but not optimistic. I should mention that I have two OM-Ds now and one does it and one does not. As soon as I post this I am going to go compare settings.
  8. vchaney

vchaney Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2010
    As weeowee said, if there's a white box, it's face detection. It won't do this if you're in magnified mode with a smaller focus box, but if it's just the large box then it will choose the face in preference to the centre box.
  9. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Well, that was easy. It does seem to be face-detection. My complication was that in one of my cameras I have two MySets set up for (1) HDR in 5 images, and (2) IR custom WB. My problem was that in MySet one (my standard everyday MySet) included face detection, so every time I went back to my standard MySet, face-detection would be reselected. Well that's fixed. At the same time I also fixed one camera that seemed locked onto the 3x3 focus target. The Info button corrected that.
  10. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    If the 4 way buttons are set for the Focus Point Selection (of position), then that is easliy bumped changing the focus point. I found the best way around that is to set the 4 way buttons to Direct Function buttons instead (with setting the Right key to White Balance & Down button to Drive Mode) as seen here under 'Buttons and dials'. User Guide: Getting the most out of the Olympus E-M5: Digital Photography Review

The left Button (by default) becomes Focus Point Select by pressing it once & then any of the 4 way buttons (or Front & Back Wheels) to adjust the Focus Point. This makes the 4 way buttons more usefull as well as avoiding accidental changing of the Focus Point. This is how I use mine & it's a conveniant way of using the camera (for me). Turning off Face Detect may be necessary if it takes over in a spurious manner, but otherwise I generally leave it ON.
  11. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    I use left button to change focus point not the four buttons.

Just to be clearer, I am not talking about the focus point being moved….I am talking about if I have for example my focus point in the centre. When I focus on something, a wappy 2nd focus box (white) appears and randomly focuses on something else.

I have turned off face detect now and will see if its this thats doing it (maybe face detect also detects random stuff also).