OM-D Focus Jumping Around

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave Jenkins, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

My OM-D is about to drive my back to my film Olympus OM-2! The green focus square keeps jumping around the viewfinder screen. Sorry for such a dumb question, but how do I nail it down to the center of the screen and make it stay there? I do not use Face Recognition -- I'm strictly a focus-and-recompose guy.

2. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Your hiting the arrow buttons with your fingers and not realizing it. There is no way to lock it down, but what you could do is to set the arrow keys to off or something else

3. Dave Jenkins

I don't think I was hitting the arrow keys. I don't believe I was having a problem with the focus square jumping around until I did the focus-peaking hack. Has anyone else experienced this?

4. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    If your touch screen is enabled, you may be hitting your LCD without knowing?

5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Dave, I think you have multi-point AF enabled, where the body is trying to guess what you want to be in focus.

I believe this setting is under MF/AF in the gear section of the menu and you need to define the AF home position to be a single point. You can then move that point around with the direction pad, if you don't want to do a focus/recompose in a particular shot.

6. Dave Jenkins

Okay, I've checked on that, and it will not allow me to set a single focus point. Again, could this be because I did the focus-peaking hack?

7. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    If it was on that mode when you made the hack it could be, I had to create mine a second time because I wanted manual focus and it was set the first time for AF

8. sevenil

sevenil Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2011
    If you have Image Stabilization on, could it be that you've not set it to match the focal length of lens you're using? Just a thought......

9. Grelton

Grelton New to Mu-43

Nov 4, 2012
    São Paulo - Brazil
    Dave,

Try the P mode, click OK to bring the SCP (super control panel), in the monitor, touch the focus option, or go there with the arrows, then touch in the center focus point or move the arrows until you get the focus point that you want. If you have only groups of six focusing points, or all of them, click INFO, click UP or DOWN arrows until you have only one focus point, then click OK and place it in the center with arrows or touch. You can do the same looking at the EVF.