1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

OM-D Flash question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Richella, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    I just got my OM-D yesterday and today I tried the small flash that comes with the OM-D to take a few shots of my daughter. I must say that I was very disappointed with the results.

Does anyone have any recommendations for both on-camera and off-camera flash solutions for the OM-D?

I have a Nikon SB800 and SB-900 so it would be great if I could use these for off camera solution.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

2. Hudsonhites

Hudsonhites Mu-43 Regular

Jul 14, 2011
    NYC
    You can use your Nikon flashes both on camera and off camera in manual mode.
    I use Cactus V5s triggers for off camera flash work they're very reliable and work with my D700 as well

3. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I didn't see any of the bad shots you were talking about.I have had some issues with flash mixed with ambient light. This applies to all cameras including Gh 2, OM-D.and ELP-5. Always shoot on S and set shutter speed at 100 or more.,or you get ghosts.

Never use intelligent mode with flash.It ain't intelligent when your flash is on.Be sure the flash is set to fill flash ,not full (e p 5) You can take advantage of the real fast single focus lenses by opening them wide and putting the ISO up slightly.You can take a picture of a whole room full of people and you get ambient light and flash.

I have a lot or real powerful Canon flash equipment but don't know how to adapt it to my micro 4 thirds stuff.

4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Any flash that supports Manual and xSync will work (given you stay within flash sync speed or slower. OMD E-M5 = 1/250)

I personally use Sunpak 422Ds (I have about 5 of them) with either off shoe cable or cactus triggers w/ modified TR-PAKs.

Note: just like any xsync flash, TTL and advanced features won't work which is why that it is important the flash itself support manual modes.

If you want Full TTL and support for all of the OMD's features, you will need the appropriate flash from Metz, Nissin, or Olympus. IIRC, the olympus flashes will be the only ones that support high-sync.

• Like Like x 1
  5. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    In what way were you disappointed with the results?

I've used a home made diffuser, and also a white business card to bounce off a white ceiling, on the little flash accessory with quite acceptable results.

6. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    yes, you can definitely use your SB800 and SB900 off-camera (either M or A mode). you could even use them on-camera (again, M or A mode) for bounce flash, which is typically much more flattering.